Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 305 31-December-2016

31-12-2016 Saturday
Holy Mother By Swami Nikhilananda: 305

Chapter 13 – In the Role of Teacher : 024

As to whether all people really want liberation, the Bhagavad Gita says: ‘Only a rare one, among thousands, seeks perfection.’ How can God liberate one who still wants to enjoy the fun of the world, or, as Sri Ramakrishna said, one who, ‘being infatuated with the red toys of physical pleasures, has forgotten the Divine Mother?’ There was a worker at the Udbodhan, a householder, Chandra by name, who ran errands for Holy Mother; he was one of her disciples. He was very fond of eating and the Mother loved to feed him. Whenever he came to her he got something to eat. One day a senior Swami said to Chandra: ‘You always go to the Mother for prasad; can you ask her for something I am going to suggest?’

Chandra: ‘Surely.’

Swami: ‘Can you say to her: “Mother, I want liberation”?’

Chandra: ‘Surely I can. I shall do it right away.’

Chandra went upstairs and found Holy Mother engaged in worship. Slowly he entered the shrine room. But his body began to tremble. A little later Holy Mother looked at him and asked: ‘What do you want?’ Chandra felt as if someone was choking his voice. ‘Prasad,’ he blurted out. The Mother pointed out to him some food under the couch.

-------
Holy Mother - Being the Life of Sri Sarada Devi Wife of Sri Ramakrishna And Helpmate in his Mission By Swami Nikhilananda p: 189 – 190