Welcome to the SNO Message Board

De Anza SNO Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: American Red Cross CPR for incoming (Q1) students

Just FYI.

The American Red Cross course is yearly vs. the American Heart Association course which is every 2 years.

The major differences... well, the ARC believes that because of technology, better health practices, the need for skills practice and new theories that each person should renew each year. Otherwise... they are basically the same.

Some of the things that have happened this last year are: Changes in rate of chest compressions/breaths, how to adjust the neck & use of defib. technology.

It is a personal choice which way you want to go... but as for me, I took the ARC course because I do want to keep up to date on what is being taught each year. What is a Saturday in the spirit of keeping up?

See y'all next month,
Katie

Re: American Red Cross CPR for incoming (Q1) students

Well, you can always take the AHA course every year if you like.

FWIW: Santa Clara EMS requires EMTs/EMT-Ps to have AHA "certification" (it really isn't "certification" -- but not sure what else to call it), from what I understand. So, if you happen to be interested in also getting your EMT (and work in Santa Clara County) -- AHA would be the way to go.

Further, if you ever want to be a CPR instructor (a great job, IMO, for nursing students) -- AHA pays better. $20-$25/hr compared to $14 -- unless ARC has raised their prices.

ARC (for whom I've been a volunteer) annoys me at times because they seem to charge students more and pay instructors less. I had the sense of being somewhat nickled and dimed.

Incidentally, you can also get "certified" via various classes at local community colleges (West Valley, Mission, maybe DeAnza -- but may be part of another course, like the lifesaving course).

In about a year after starting school, you may be interested in taking ACLS, which is definitely an AHA course.

But, whatever floats your boat... :)