Return to Website

The AICCF Forum

This is a forum for members of the All India Correspondence Chess Federation.

Only members can post. 

Forum: The AICCF Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Should AICCF have a dedicated forum

P.B.Dhanish rendered a great idea by starting this forum on bravenet. We want more members to post here regularly. By discussion we can solve many issues facing AICCF.
However the bravenet site, being free, has distracting pop up ads which are a nuisance. Also the "Reply" button is not prominent. Many times you may see a post and not succeed in replying because you cant locate the reply button. Worst of all, once you have the password, you can impersonate anyone if you know his email address.
Can readers please comment on our idea to host a new forum at the new website of AICCF which is going to be started shortly (in view of the closing down of the free geocities server). We are no longer limited to free servers. We can appoint P.B.Dhanish as the supervisor and moderator of the new forum if everyone agrees.
Best regards
Ambar Chatterjee

Email  
Re: Should AICCF have a dedicated forum

How much will it cost, in terms of money and effort?

From the response at the existing forum, I don't think it is important. The TCCMB forum had been at the free bravenet site for several years and only recently switched to an independent site.

First of all, we need to update our website. Who is going to do that? Today, the geocities site is opening, but perhaps it is only for today? All the incorrect links should be removed. Also, we should have all the previous Bulletins there, etc.

You may have seen from the Bulletin that member Nagesh J. has offered to take up the job of webmaster. He will himself personally bear the cost of a new domain and site hosting. I have suggested to him that he can include a forum also as part of the site. There are several implementations of forum that can be easily downloaded and installed with perhaps only a little customization. In case he agrees then we can go ahead with that idea.

Best regards
A.Chatterjee

Email  

As I understand from the Bulletin, Shri Nagesh J has offered to register a separate domain name for AICCF with hosting. Has he agreed to be the webmaster?

I find that we have already taken the name aiccf-chess.com. I find aiccf.com taken, but not www.aiccf.in. Perhaps we can register for this domain?

Quote: Pinaki Bhattacharyya
From http://pub22.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1819609228&frmid=478&msgid=585426&cmd=show

Hello Dr. Chatterjee,

This free forum is very primitive. There are some excellent free forum softwares available like MyBB, phpBB, SimpleMachines with lots of features. I think it is better to replace the current one with ones I mentioned. With them it is also possible to display chess games in a PGN viewer. I will be happy to offer any help regarding this. I am not much of a web developer but I can set it up for free in a week or so. Let me know what you think.

Your suggestion is welcome. There is not much activity in the Forum, so I doubt whether it is worth the effort. Still, if you can set it up, we can wind down the existing Forum or freeze it.

As you can see from the posts above, Dr Chatterjee was willing to set up another Forum. At that time, I didn't want to load him any more. Even now, AICCF is too dependent on him (server site, ratings, netbanking, emergency bulletin, what not). There is a lot of pending work to the server, like automatic rating calculation, facility to view rating calculation, etc.

Further, there are limitations on an official Forum. It is very easy to criticize on the net, which is painful for the volunteers who put in hard work without receiving any payment, which, for example, finally resulted in closure of the ICCF Forum.

Another idea is, perhaps, that we can make our website feed based, like the iccf website, so that news or notices can be viewed one by one without losing track of the old ones, where also you may be able to contribute.

Quote: Dhanish
Quote: Pinaki Bhattacharyya
From http://pub22.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1819609228&frmid=478&msgid=585426&cmd=show

Hello Dr. Chatterjee,

This free forum is very primitive. There are some excellent free forum softwares available like MyBB, phpBB, SimpleMachines with lots of features. I think it is better to replace the current one with ones I mentioned. With them it is also possible to display chess games in a PGN viewer. I will be happy to offer any help regarding this. I am not much of a web developer but I can set it up for free in a week or so. Let me know what you think.

Your suggestion is welcome. There is not much activity in the Forum, so I doubt whether it is worth the effort. Still, if you can set it up, we can wind down the existing Forum or freeze it.

As you can see from the posts above, Dr Chatterjee was willing to set up another Forum. At that time, I didn't want to load him any more. Even now, AICCF is too dependent on him (server site, ratings, netbanking, emergency bulletin, what not). There is a lot of pending work to the server, like automatic rating calculation, facility to view rating calculation, etc.

Further, there are limitations on an official Forum. It is very easy to criticize on the net, which is painful for the volunteers who put in hard work without receiving any payment, which, for example, finally resulted in closure of the ICCF Forum.

Another idea is, perhaps, that we can make our website feed based, like the iccf website, so that news or notices can be viewed one by one without losing track of the old ones, where also you may be able to contribute.

Mr. Dhanish. Thanks for your critical assessment.

Here is my 2 cents:

I have been a member of many forums and what I have realized is that for an active forum you need a good amount of user base. I guess we have some 500 AICCF members which I think is very small. I have been playing chess for 5 years and I just came to know about AICCF. So you see that many doesn't know that AICCF exists. Thus making a closed forum only for AICCF members is not a good idea. Let it an open forum for chess discussions along with AICCF activities. Anybody can join and take part. Creating open forum will also boost the AICCF member strength.

Regarding the low level of activity at the current forum I think it is mainly because of the primitive features. If one can integrate tools like displaying chess games with annotation in forum posts then it will greatly increase the interest.

So I urge the administrators to give it a thought. If you agree with me then we can have a chat on phone regarding the installation/implementation of a new forum software platform.

Email  

Since we are short of volunteers I will be happy to assist in any way. I believe that we must ensure that we get a fair chance to share our knowledge effectively and thus encouraging others to do the same. I am 27 years old in basic science research that to in a theoretical field. But I have my utmost passion for chess and I want to see it flourish here in India. I recently became a lifetime member of AICCF at a very nominal fee. I am very pleased to have creative individuals like Dr. Chatterjee and Alok Saxena alongside me. I truly acknowledge and respect their work. But I think they will also acknowledge (in the sense that their students are more technically sound) the fact that we need some young blood. So here is my offer. I have ample experience with forum softwares. I will set up a topnotch forum perfectly suited for chess discussions for free. Regarding the primitiveness of chess server considering the calculation of ratings, stalemate positions etc. I need to consult with others since I am not a web developer. I am a basic science research scholar. I am an internet addict and learnt many things all by myself. Provided that we have your support we can achieve many things because I am in a such a place where we get some top brains of India.. And we do have a chess club here and annual chess competitions and though being a bit unsocial as reseachers being perceived by general public I am sure we can find some guy who will do the server tweakings for the love of the game.

Email  

Dear Pinaki,
I think that the sever work is in control. The work needing to be done further on it is probably ok for me to complete. Involving other pesons in this work will need closer coordination. I tried it with Santhosh Paul, but because of distance and communication we did not manage.
However a forum would be a completely new activity and since you offered to set it up for free, you should go ahead with it. Yes, it can be completely open - not restricted to aiccf members. You have mentioned some software tools for developing a forum. What about the host where it will have to be kept? Are you thinking of of some new host entirely or do you want it to be hosted at one of AICCF's existing sites?
Best regards
Ambar Chatterjee

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains