Return to Website

The AICCF Forum

This is a forum for members of the All India Correspondence Chess Federation.

Only members can post. 

The AICCF Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to get 2400 elo (ICCF)

See this topic at the Rybka Forum: http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforum/topic_show.pl?tid=24401.

Of course, I don't know if it's that easy, but some can try?

Re: How to get 2400 elo (ICCF)

After reading the article what readily comes to my mind are the following facts:
a) To get a very high rating in Corr. chess(say top 50) the person MUST be an expert in really understanding the manner in which the engines work. i.e. when NOT to trust the line suggested by the engine but rely on one's own analysis.
b) For the above to hold, the person MUST have an innate talent and the ability to analyse correctly. All the strong OTB players do possess this ability.
c) After reading Sanakoev's and Berliner's books ( in which there is no reference to the engine/computer as their success was achieved in the pre-engine era) I am interested to know if there is any similar book written by a world-class corr. player in which he demonstrates the exact use which he made of the Computer/engine to attain success.
d) For the person desirous of improving his corr. rating a study of articles on ChessCafe website and ChessBase website where the relevant details are discussed is a must.
e) FINALLY THE MOST CRUCIAL: THE WORLDCLASS CORR. PLAYER MUST HAVE THE PATIENCE OF AN ELEPHANT AND THE ABILITY FOR UNREMITTING HARD WORK FOR SEVERAL YEARS.
-D.M.Modak
1st March 2012. 6.52 a.m.

Above all the point you have given , are not imposrtant if u dont have any experience in Infinite Analysis and the playing style of engines. IDeA as it looks is not so easy to operate. It backfires much more in critical middle and endgames when you interact less. Retrograde analysis is by far the best way to analyse if u have ample of chess knowledge on engines and their playing style. IDeA is a waste of cpu time. But its worth a try.

ChessBase 11: Finding the top theoretical novelty
--------------------------------------------------
The above article on ChessBase website appearing today and more importantly the videos appearing at the bottom of the article are a veritable gold-mine for those interested in getting the maximum benefit from the engine. I trust serious correspondence players take advantage of this opportunity!
-D.M.Modak
13th March 2012. 1726 hrs.

Isn't the use of chess engines against the CC rules? Of course one can use books, databases etc.

Also how one can improve by using chess engines all the time?

Actually several years ago the use of Computer/Engines was NOT allowed in AICCF tournaments although use of Engines was permitted at the relevant time in ICCF tournaments.
I used to play in some AICCF tys. then. Later AICCF changed the rules allowing a person to use the Computer/Engines. Hence, it is no longer 'Correspondence' chess but a mixture of 'Corr. and computer chess' and hence I have abandoned correspondence chess for more than 10 years now.
2) A person CANNOT improve by constantly choosing the move suggested by the Engine. At some point, he has to rely on his own ability which is the direct result of one's actual experience in analysing the various TYPES of positions.
-D. M. Modak
3rd August 2013.

D. M. Modak, Nashik.
Actually several years ago the use of Computer/Engines was NOT allowed in AICCF tournaments although use of Engines was permitted at the relevant time in ICCF tournaments.
I used to play in some AICCF tys. then. Later AICCF changed the rules allowing a person to use the Computer/Engines. Hence, it is no longer 'Correspondence' chess but a mixture of 'Corr. and computer chess' and hence I have abandoned correspondence chess for more than 10 years now.
2) A person CANNOT improve by constantly choosing the move suggested by the Engine. At some point, he has to rely on his own ability which is the direct result of one's actual experience in analysing the various TYPES of positions.
-D. M. Modak
3rd August 2013.

That is really disappointing. The whole point of playing Correspondence Chess is to improve your game. You get enough time to study during the game, give it lot of thought, and learn while playing. The idea of using chess engines is beyond any rational.

Pinaki Bhattacharyya
D. M. Modak, Nashik.
-D. M. Modak
3rd August 2013.

That is really disappointing. The whole point of playing Correspondence Chess is to improve your game. You get enough time to study during the game, give it lot of thought, and learn while playing. The idea of using chess engines is beyond any rational.

Don't ever think that just using engines will make u win the games. You have to learn chess yourself first. Chess programs does not confirm wins.

I beg to strongly disagree with Mr. Bhattacharya when he states that '..use .. is beyond any rational'.
If this is REALLY TRUE, a person (even of World Champion calibre) would NOT use the computer/engine to find the 'best' move, particularly in Corr. Chess because of the 100% confidence that such a person has 'I can find the 'best' move by rigorous analysis and the move 'suggested' by the Engine(which I am now using) or Engines would LEAD ME ASTRAY!'.
So bye bye to computers/engines. Of course I will use them only to find out and play those Openings in which my specific opponent finds himself 'most uncomfortable' and NOT to find the 'best' move!
I sincerely request Mr. Dhanish and Mr. Chatterjee, both of whom are great experts in their relative fields to throw more light on the matter. Or any other reader who is interested can also comment. Most welcome!
-D. M. Modak
4th August 2013. 1450 hrs.

D. M. Modak, Nashik.
I beg to strongly disagree with Mr. Bhattacharya when he states that '..use .. is beyond any rational'.
If this is REALLY TRUE, a person (even of World Champion calibre) would NOT use the computer/engine to find the 'best' move, particularly in Corr. Chess because of the 100% confidence that such a person has 'I can find the 'best' move by rigorous analysis and the move 'suggested' by the Engine(which I am now using) or Engines would LEAD ME ASTRAY!'.
So bye bye to computers/engines. Of course I will use them only to find out and play those Openings in which my specific opponent finds himself 'most uncomfortable' and NOT to find the 'best' move!
I sincerely request Mr. Dhanish and Mr. Chatterjee, both of whom are great experts in their relative fields to throw more light on the matter. Or any other reader who is interested can also comment. Most welcome!
-D. M. Modak
4th August 2013. 1450 hrs.

Gone are the days when engines made humans astray. New even a good GM has no chance against the programs. The only weakness is endgames that is minimized by table bases.

Use of Engins in CC

Dear Pinaki Bhattacharyya,
As you are new to CC you may not be aware that players have full freedom in using engines for their analysis both on ICCF and AICCF servers. In AICCF we did not allow engine use in earlier times even when ICCF already allowed it. But in the end we too decided to follow suit.
To allow engine use in CC was much discussed and debated in eralier times. I dont know if there is any CC association which still disallows it. The argument for allowing engine use is that we cant prevent it anyway. How can you ensure that a player does not use an engine (even if he pledges that he will not). Because of this, ICCF decided to allow engines. So affiliated associations of different countries also did the same.
Best regards
A.Chatterjee