My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: C25K, STORIES FROM THE LEVEE...

Tale 2, Lisa

What made you join the first Couch to 5K? “I joined because I was looking for a running group/club to help me get back into running since being out of it for almost 17 yrs due to school and family demands. I dragged my kids into too. It was a fun family activity.”

What was your favorite part about the program? “Running with the awesome women that also joined, made new friends, and bonded with my kids. We all progressed at each run and no demands were put on us. Coach Karen and Marj made it a lot of fun and encouraged us each step of the way.”

Are you still running? “Oh yeah! Slowly upping my mileage and running 5-6 days weekly. Run with a few ladies who were part of the group I joined and see others ( chuchi Rita) too!!”

What would you say to someone who is reading this now, and is on the fence about joining? “Join!! It's so much fun. You'll be amazed at what you can do! Whether you walk or run- join! You'll be glad you did.”

Coach K’s notes: Lisa is 50, and joined with her two sons, 14 and 11. She completed the River Street 3 miler in May in a time of 34:11. The boys finished in 30 and 37 minutes. Lisa is a vegetarian and also made me really awesome vegan granola bars. To repay her, I made her banana muffins. We still text every few days to keep in touch. C25K isn’t just about the program—it’s about making friends for life.

TALES FROM THE LEVEE…Maureen!

What made you join the first Couch to 5K? “ I always wanted to be able to run, C25K seemed like the perfect opportunity to learn something new, meet new people, and have fun while doing it!”

What was your favorite part about the program? “The support of everyone involved, the fabulous coaches and how easy it was - before you know it, you're running your first mile!”

Are you still running? “Happy to say that YES I AM! My other C25K friend and I try to run 3 miles (sometimes a bit more) 3 times per week. We've kept running since November 2015.”

What would you say to someone who is reading this now, and is on the fence about joining? “Just do it - It will change your life and prove that you can do anything!”

Coach K’s Notes: Mo completed not one, but two, of our Couch to 5K programs. Even though she could totally complete 3 miles after the first time, she convinced family to join in the fun the second time, and pushed them through it.  Mo’s positive energy is contagious. Mo ran the Don’s Dash 5K yesterday and completed it in 33 minutes.

COUCH TO 5K STARTS TONIGHT AT 5:30 in WYOMING. Read this, be inspired, meet us there! :)

TALES FROM THE LEVEE -- ELLEN!

What made you join the first Couch to 5K? I wanted to get back into running shape but needed something or someone to keep me accountable / motivated. Joining C25K helped get my butt running 3x per week and into a routine.

What was your favorite part about the program? Honestly, having that accountability. It's easy to tell yourself you're going to run at the gym - but then we make excuses and say we'll go the next day or run one mile instead of three. Having "practice" throughout the week and a group of women striving together for the same goal is exactly what I needed.

Are you still running? Yes! I run anywhere from 1-3 miles, 5x per week. Still trying to build that endurance up even more!

What would you say to someone who is reading this now, and is on the fence about joining? DO IT! The program is designed to ease you into running, not running three miles week one. I would recommend to anyone + the coaches are great and want to help!

Coach K's Notes: Ellen had such a positive attitude and was ready for her 5K before the 8 weeks were even up (I'm sure her being 24 years old helped with that). Ellen still helps out with getting the Lady Striders info out there each month in her publication, Wyoming Valley Sport Shot. She's now proud to call herself a RUNNER. smile emoticon