My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: race fee inflation

One of the races I still run every year charged $20 this year pre registration and then gave you the option to add a t-shirt for an additional amount! As someone else said, it's for a cause that is important to me so I will still participate, no more t-shirt for me though.

Another fun race that is really cheap is the Great Pumpkin Run at the PPL, sorry Talen, Riverlands outside of Berwick on Route 11. I can't find any info for this year's race but when I used to run it was only $4 without a shirt.

Hello Matt the Pumpkin run is usually the last Saturday in October. It will be held again this year. They usually don't release race info until sometimes in August or even September. NEPARunner will get this posted when available or check http://www.runfordiamonds.com/pumpkin.html Thank you for posting on the NEPARunner Forumboard.

I totally agree!! I skipped a local race here because it was $30 for a 5K!! $10 a mile....and this now seems to be the going rate!! i do not understand the big increase when sponsors pay for the cost of the shirts, volunteers do the water stops and traffic control. Water and a banana are not that expensive. Especially when there is no chip timing involved. Registering on line usually involves additional fees so you basically save next to nothing to do so. I am in my late sixties and have run enough races so I am very selective anymore.
You can run the 9 miler in Berwick for $30 and the cookie run is only $10 without a shirt....and check out the great turnouts!! I think if others would charge less they would end up making more!! Just my humble opinion!!

I agree with Marie and the others who feel race fees are too high. I am also in my 60's, and have run or walked over 550 races, so feel no need to pay $30 or more unless it is a truly special race that I want to do. There are still races around that charge $15-$20 and still seem to raise reasonable amounts of money for whatever cause they are supporting. I do applaud groups like the SRRC that put on races for runners, and are not looking to make lots of money. In the last couple races I did, people were complaining about turnouts for races. Well, perhaps, they need to look at their fees. I also completely agree with the idea of charging less with no shirt. Only give out shirts to those who pre-register and are willing to pay extra. Needless to say, I have far more shirts than I could ever wear, and periodically give a bunch of them to the Salvation Army or other charities (I do hang on to some of my old favorites, many of which are pretty ratty now). I do like the shirts at some race - like Bernie's run - and would be willing to pay more for that shirt.

this is a good thread. In my area we are fortunate to have people like the Brandt family of Danville who put on a worthy cross county 5k for $0 entry fee this Saturday. Coach Brandt, an outstanding runner himself, also keeps the fees real low for his July Iron Heritage trail 5k in Danville.

Lauding also the Berwick marathon association, Wyoming Valley Striders and the SRRC. I ran a very economical well organized 2 miler in Swoyersville with the latter group. The similarly named Susquehanna Ridge Runners over by Sunbury have a very cheap and quality winter series. Most of these associations are dominated by people who just love the sport.

I wonder if I am in the minority or the majority? I choose not to run local 5ks because of the cost. Do other avid runners feel the same way?

Is the number one driver of the cost to put on races the shirt?

I think the Run Around Scranton is free, what kind of attendance does that bring?

Lower 5K fees could also promote a healthier lifestyle. Perhaps some brand new runners out there would run some or more organized races if the costs were lower. If I were just starting out and the first 5K I wanted to run was $25, I would be discouraged.

I have 3 children and they recently wanted to run a local race. This race was on the cheaper side at $15, but still, it would have cost me $60 for the 4 of us. I am simply not paying that. Again, if there was a no shirt option, and say the entrance fee was only $8, I would have signed up. So would it not be better for this race director to have that option? Instead of getting zero dollars from me, they would have received $32, and they need not have spent money on my shirt.

If anyone has been to a thrift shop or flea market, you will find all of the race shirts you want for about $1 per. ie, I don't think people care about the shirts.

Please don't get me wrong, certainly I know putting on a race is a lot of work. I just wish these organizations would consider a no shirt option to reduce the fees.

I no longer run local 5K races because of the price. Instead, I sign up for distance events. They are more expensive but running on a closed course with aid stations is worth it to me. I would run more 5Ks but hesitate at anything over $15. I don't care about the shirt or the post race party. A water bottle and a banana are what makes me happy at the finish!

I do not think we are the majority, though. A lot of people want to do a 5K and have the whole shebang. A tshirt to wear around and advertise that they're runners. A medal to feel great about participating. Etc. I did when I started running:). And the 5K tends to attract more casual & new runners.

Hello!

The price of running a 5k is getting out of control! I see race fees that are $30-$35. I realize that they are for good causes but at some point when did runners turn into the charity organization of the world.

Race fees shouldn't top $15 for a 5k.

Its getting ridiculous!

A lot of time and planning goes into organizing and carrying out 5ks. Also, you're not only paying to run the race but most races donate proceeds to an organization in need which fully justifys the cost in my opinion. $20-$25 is NOT too much to ask. If you want to talk costs, it's at least 1,000 dollars to put on a race, if not more. Timing and shirts and awards are the majority of this cost. You want a no frills event (no awards, chip timing, race shirt or premium, food after?) then those are the races that'll cost a lot less. If you're complaining about a $20 entry then my guess is you have no put on a race yourself to know the true cost and effort it takes.

Sure $25 is too much to ask. Myself, and a few others who have replied, have stated they no longer run 5Ks due to the cost. A few 5Ks have come up that I thought about running, I checked the cost, see it at $25 or so, and I move on. Thus, it is too much to ask.

I am a local race director and my race costs a little over $3000 to run...my costs include shirts (which everyone comments that they really like our shirts each year) timing, porta potties, and medals. Sponsors are VERY generous however they are tapped out and may not donate as much as you think. After we pay our bills 100% of our profit goes to the organization that we support. As a race director my goals are to put on a good race and increase what we can donate each year even if we give them $1 more than last year. I send a survey out to my participants after the race and your would be surprised what ppl comment about. I try to keep my race 'low frills' so that we keep out costs down but in the end there is always a handful if ppl that complain that we only have fruit and water/Gatorade at the finish line. I appreciate all the support we have gotten over the years from local runners and runners not so local! ? Reality is (in my situation) that the cost of everything has gone up and sponsors are stretched out in our community so sometimes that means a slight price increase in races. I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to more conversation about the topic

I don't think many are complaining, but are just stating they can not afford the higher cost.

There is a race on Sept 18th that has a no shirt option located at Lake Carey. Benefits Equines For Freedom who provide free therapy to veterans in our area.

Just wanted to mention that one of my fav races of the year, the June Crusader Classic in Dunmore, appears to have raised their price. I know some of you who read this may laugh and say "Its only 22 dollars" and that its (I think) $2 higher than last year.

However, I have kids that I would like to run with. So if I bring 3 kids, it will cost me $88 to run a race? We can open the door and go run for free. As this forum has discussed in the past, if the shirts are driving up the costs, make a shirt optional for the runner, and lower the cost. I don't need any more shirts!!!!

So, to the race director of the Crusader Class, I am not running this year.

AC
I am a local race director and my race costs a little over $3000 to run...my costs include shirts (which everyone comments that they really like our shirts each year) timing, porta potties, and medals. Sponsors are VERY generous however they are tapped out and may not donate as much as you think. After we pay our bills 100% of our profit goes to the organization that we support. As a race director my goals are to put on a good race and increase what we can donate each year even if we give them $1 more than last year. I send a survey out to my participants after the race and your would be surprised what ppl comment about. I try to keep my race 'low frills' so that we keep out costs down but in the end there is always a handful if ppl that complain that we only have fruit and water/Gatorade at the finish line. I appreciate all the support we have gotten over the years from local runners and runners not so local! ? Reality is (in my situation) that the cost of everything has gone up and sponsors are stretched out in our community so sometimes that means a slight price increase in races. I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to more conversation about the topic

People complain if there isn't more than gatorade and fruit at the finish? Geez, what do these people want? I'd be willing to bet that a lot more people are upset about a $25 5K than not having a five course meal at the finish line.

You mean 30 dollars a race, it just went up again. Money took away the great feeling of being in a race or just finishing one.