My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herbie's Home Town Loop

Hi Everyone:

I just wanted to reach out to some of our "old" running friends in northeast PA to join us this weekend for a race benefitting a great cause and honoring the memory of a great guy! I keep up with the races back home on this website and wanted to reach out!

Kim Gasper
kgasper@basd.net

The 10th annual Herbie's Hometown loop will be held on Saturday, August 13th at 8:30 a.m. in downtown Bellefonte. There will be a pasta dinner Friday, August 12th from 5-8 p.m. with live music held at St. John the Evangelist Church (Bishop St). Tragically, Jeremy Herbstritt lost his life on April 16, 2007, whil attending graduate school at Virginia Tech. The race was originally created by Jeremy Herbstritt's family and friends to remember and honor him and give something back to the community who gave so much to them.
In the first nine years, the money raised has been earmarked toward building a track to benefit the Bellefonte community. This year (10th), the money raised will be split to benefit Centre Volunteers in Medicine (CVIM) and a local family, Scott and Tasha (Struble) Flory.
Centre Volunteers in Medicine is the group that Jennifer Herbstritt (Jeremy's sister) and Kim Gasper (family friend, race director) were running for in 2007 at the Boston Marathon, ironically the same day as the Virginia Tech tragedy. We are hoping the 2007 CVIM Boston marathon team will join us in supporting this great cause. For more information: http://www.cvim.net
Scott and Tasha (Struble, class of 2008) Flory are the proud parents of 1 year old, Megan Flory, who is diagnosed with Lymphopena w/ partial SCIDS (severe combined immune deficiency syndrome), commonly known as "Bubble Boy Disease". She requires monthly visits to the Philadelphia Children's Hospital for anti-body infusions. Her condition has caused financial distress for the family. Kathy Struble, proud grandmother works at Bellefonte Area High School in the cafeteria. She is affectionately known as the "pizza lady."