STA. CRUZ PARISH Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Pacquiao-Mayweather fight this May

Much as the Filipino eight-division world champion wants to fight the unbeaten Mayweather soonest, the American justice system deprived him and the fight fans of the dream showdown until after the first half of 2012.

Lawyer Jeng Gacal, Sarangani Rep. Pacquiao’s chief of staff, told the Inquirer Thursday that Mayweather’s three-month jail sentence starting on Jan. 6 effectively quashed hopes of the megabuck bout happening in May— or even in June—as envisioned by the Filipino superstar’s promoter Bob Arum.

“Apparently, he [Mayweather] is out of the picture,” said Gacal. “Unless a suspension [of the three-month jail sentence] occurs, there’s no way for the fight to push through.”

Even that is wishful thinking as half of Mayweather’ six-month sentence has already been suspended by Las Vegas Judge Melissa Saragosa.

With Mayweather unavailable until early April, Pacquiao and Arum may have to look for other candidates, who, however, will bring in far less money to the fight than the flamboyant American, the former pound-for-pound king.

Re: No Pacquiao-Mayweather fight this May

Budoy now is in training and will fight any opponents
on the welter wght division within 4 months after my rigid training. I am very much eager to accept on behalf of Meweather who has a legal problem at the moment. You can reach my manager at Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas or TFC p.i.