Return to Website

Welcome All MacKenzie Shipmates!

... Welcome All MacKenzie Shipmates!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: where's all the crew from 1958-1961

marty: I'm still around you were in second div, I was in G-div. and worked on Mt 44 on the 01 deck portside. good to see some of the gold E crew still around. take care!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

sure would like to hear from some of my shipmates.i can't seem to get my email's through.not many signed on in the 1950's & 1960's [58-61]. it's hard to believe the mac. is no longer in service.a fine ship; and we had one of the finest crews.i'm in my 60's now guys,so give me a shout.[marty]

Re: Re: where's all the crew from 1958-1961

Marty, I don't remember you but I was a fireman when I came aboard in July 1958. I was in A-gang with Pete Lindahl, Ed Cooney, Inns and don't remember too many others. Its been a long time. The Mighty Mac was my first and I will have memories that will never leave me. The Gold E and many other E's makes her the best in the 7th fleet. Our home port of Yokosuka has so many wonderful memories and all the ship parties we had there and in Subis at driftwood beach. I left a lot of money in those places in my 20 years in the Navy and would do it again in a heart beat. I have never in my 20 years have been with a crew that worked so hard to please the Capt as we did. George W Strout was the Co and made us all proud as I remember. I have many pictures of our home and look at them often. I guess when we get older, we only have our memories. There are a few shipmates that I email in the engineering dept. I hope you find this in good health. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

Big Al USN/RET

Replying to:

marty: I'm still around you were in second div, I was in G-div. and worked on Mt 44 on the 01 deck portside. good to see some of the gold E crew still around. take care!

Replying to:

sure would like to hear from some of my shipmates.i can't seem to get my email's through.not many signed on in the 1950's & 1960's [58-61]. it's hard to believe the mac. is no longer in service.a fine ship; and we had one of the finest crews.i'm in my 60's now guys,so give me a shout.[marty]

served as a fireman in 1961 would love to swap some stories.

Carl - I was a Fire Control Technician, assigned to the 40 mm mounts from 1956 - 1959. I don't remember you but I'm sure we crossed paths.

I do recall GM1 Chester Auk (sp?). Had the strongest hands of anyone I ever met. Could separate 2 guys in a brawl just by grabbing each by a shoulder and squeezing.

I also remember Capt's Morgan, Knewland and Stroud. Great CO's.

Did any other DD on the west coast ever win a Gold E?
Not sure they had put it on by the time I left in August of '59.

My father FN Smith, Johnnie R was part of the crew in 1957. I'm not sure how many years he was on the ship. I still have his blue liberty card.