Loglines

Writers pitch your screenplays.  Producers browse for un-optioned spec screenplays.

Post Your Loglines Here
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My novel, Besotted Boy!

html
Latest Review: The Train, A Pilgrim Odyssey by Allan Ramsay
Official Review: Besotted Boy by Ernest Pick
Post by Kibetious » 21 Oct 2019, 07:04
[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Besotted Boy" by Ernest Pick.]

Freddie Doolan completed his Film Studies one year ago. He has been home doing nothing. His parents had advised him to study business, but he chose arts instead. His mother still criticizes him for the choice he made. She sees Film Studies as nothing more than going to watch films. Mr. Cephas Varte, a great film director, will be delivering a speech on films. Freddie decides to go and listen to the speech. His mother encourages him to speak to Cephas and ask for a job. Freddie notices there is a striking resemblance between him and Cephas. The director agrees to hire him as an assistant to the second cameraman. Freddie begins imitating the great film director. He imitates the director’s speech patterns and even advances the extra mile to trim his hair and buy shoes similar to those Cephas wears. He eventually becomes Cephas’ clone.

What is Freddie putting himself into? What struggles will he face with his new personality? How will people react to his sudden change in behavior? What unique opportunities does this change present? Besotted Boy was authored by Ernest Pick. The book is in the genre of other fiction and contains approximately 314 pages. The story is divided into twenty-nine chapters. It revolves primarily around activities surrounding the production of a new film and the drama following Freddie’s decision to pattern himself after Cephas Varte.

There are many things I loved in this book. The conversations were lively and realistic, and this made it easier to be inside the story. The other aspect I liked about the book was character development. Almost all the characters had unique roles to carry out. They had strengths and believable flaws as well. For instance, Cephas was a renowned director, but he still had personal weaknesses like indecisiveness. He performed his work excellently but his inability to make decisions led him to turn to drugs. The plot was equally adequately developed. The story flowed chronologically. There were a few flashbacks that helped to reveal important experiences of the key characters, though. What I disliked most were incidences where transitions between some scenes were indistinct. I had to reread to grasp how some sudden changes had occurred.

I immensely enjoyed reading this book. The suspense in the story was maintained to the concluding page. Several twists and turns made the story more fascinating as well. The author left nothing to chance. He described everything vividly. Some diverse types of cuisines described would cause one to begin drooling. Travel adventures were exciting. It was also exhilarating to learn about the process of film production. The book was also professionally edited. I discovered only three minor errors that did not detract from the general enjoyment of the book.

Therefore, I soundly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are many themes like romance, drug abuse, family, and murder that will endear many readers. I heartily recommend the book to ardent fans of other fiction books. It will appeal most to those who like film making. The story contains sexual innuendos, and consequently, this book is most suitable for readers aged fifteen and above.