​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Patty Duke on the Toilet (Scene, that is )

Thanks, Gloria.. I had forgotten.

Re: Re: Re: Patty Duke on the Toilet (Scene, that is )...MY THOUGHTS

After the pushing incident, Susan went to her trailor & refused to work for the rest of the day (according to Duke's book, "Call Me Anna"). I don't think Susan wanted to have anything to do with her after that. Susan was an aloof loner to begin with, she was dealing with her husband's death around this time, which probably made her even more unapproachable. Just because they worked together didn't mean they had each other's phone numbers, addresses, etc. But if (miscast/too young for the Neely role) Patty Duke really wanted to apologize for the incident, she could have easily found a way to contact her I'm sure (there was plenty of time!). As for Judy Garland, she was such a mess at this point (in her 40's but looked like she was in her 60's) I think they used her as a publicity stunt & never intended to feature her in the film from the get go. Mark Robson (Susan's friend) may have had her in mind all along for Helen Lawson. (Other's who wanted the role were Bette Davis & Barbara Stanwyck). As for Barbara Parkins, I think she was absolutely stunning in this movie. She never looked that beautiful in anything before or since that film. If she was cast as "window dressing", it worked. This was her chance to move from a popular TV show to movies, which is still common practice today. Lee Grant (who played Mariam Polar in VOTD) had this to say in a 1997 interview: "The film was a much-anticipated event of 1967, there was this big push from the studio, that they were making three stars of Barbara, Sharon, & Patty, like an Ava Gardner or Lana Turner. Everybody thought it was going to be huge."