​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

What movie are these quotes from?

"A throwback to an Irish bandit in the hills of Killarney."

"You know, for a little while tonight I thought I'd met a real man. But I was wrong."

"I consider her performance in 'House of Strangers' to be as sensitive and satisfying and fully realized as any in my experience."

"Did you ever sit day after day, night after night, staring at your hands?"

"What are you going to be a man at?"

Who called Susan "Scarlett O'Hayward?"

Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

Gloria...these are all so familiar but a little tough to remember, but I'm working on it. I think maybe the next to the last one..."what are you going to be a man at?" is from I'll Cry Tomorrow when she's fighting with her first husband..??

Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

You're right on "I'll Cry Tomorrow." It was the morning after a drunken episode when Don Taylor, in the part of her first husband, had said that he was a man and had to get to work.

Gloria...I'm going to guess the "staring at the hands quote is from "I Want To Live".. I seem to be relating that quote to that film, but I could be wrong...not sure.

Ginger: Good guess, but it's from Smash Up: The Story of a Woman. It was a statement the characer Susan played, Angie, said about her need for her husband, played by Lee Bowman, who was spending most of his time trying to further his singing career.

Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

As many times as I've seen Smash-Up, I should have known!

Gloria... okay , here goes again.. is "A throwback to an Irish bandit in the hills of Killarney" from Tulsa?

It was from "I Can Get It For You Wholesale," and was said by the woman who played her mother, Mary Phillips, who reproved her as "a throwback to an Irish bandit in the hills of Killarney."

There was another great quote from that movie, by Dan Dailey, who said that she "had the simple and astonishing beauty of an old-fashioned straight razor."

Zowie!

Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

Gloria..These are great quotes you have come up with.. I'm going to use some of them for my message board headings.. --- I love "I Can Get It For You Wholesale"...I was down in the garmet district of NYC this summer and kept thinking of that film.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

Sounds like a good idea, Ginger. "Wholesale" was a great role for her. She epitomized the hard-charging, upwardly mobile designers who worked in New York's garment district. (Although few of them are as gorgeous as she was.)

Let me know if you want the answers to the other quotes, or if you want to guess. Nobody else has tried, so it's probably up to you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

Well, I hate to give up, but I guess I'm stumped!
Yes, what are the other answers....Thanks..!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

You made a valiant effort. "Scarlett O'Hayward" is a name given her by the gossip columnist, Earl Wilson, when she was married to Eaton Chalkley and living in rural Georgia, and she told Wilson that she was just "a country lawyer's wife."

Joseph L. Mankiewicz said, many years after they'd worked on House of Strangers, that he "considered her performance in House of Strangers to be as sensitive and satisfying and fully realized as any in my experience."

Much later, after working with him on The Honey Pot, when Eaton was very sick and she needed to fly back and forth from the movie location in Rome to Fort Lauderdale, Mankiewicz shot around her, allowing her to finish the picture. She later paid him the compliment of saying that he had heart.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

Thank you,Gloria...They are all familiar quotes but I just couldn't put them in the right place. I've been yearning to read her bio's again...just to refresh and get more ideas.. things that I've missed. Beverly Linet's book is still my favorite that is written about Susan..I have recently been watching the Young and the Restless again lately. Melody Scott Thomas, who plays "Nikki", strikes me as an actress who could play Susan well..in her mid- years...If Melody had red hair, I think she could really come across well as Susan. I'd love to see a film made about Susan --but hopefully, if one is ever made.. it won't be one of those cheapie TV movies of the week.. I hope it's
a classy one -- such as Halle Berry playing Dorothy Dandridge...well, you know... something with a lot of depth and style..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

I read once that Susan was asked to write her autobiography but wouldn't do it. I think she was really a private person who abhored all that publicity about her and Jess Barker.

And let's face it, if they covered her post-movie years, they would most likely include her drinking. And the "cold as a polar bear's foot" would come up from any co-stars who were still alive. They'd probably never speak to any of the on-set people like hairdressers, makeup artists, etc. (assuming they're still around as well) to whom Susan was supposed to be very kind.

I guess what I'm saying is that doing a movie about Susan Hayward would not be a fair and balanced picture of her as a whole person.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quotes from Susan's movies and quotes about her as an actress

I'm sure you're right in that it wouldn't be fair and balanced unless the twins might possibly take control..then there might be some hope.. but it seems that they aren't really interested.

I would hope if a film was made, that her courage in her last years while dealing with her illness would be brought out. I think that would be really inspiring. I think a good film could be made of her last few years of struggle with a smaller amount of emphasis on her career.