​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

I now live in Ft Lauderdale Fl. I know that Susan lived here too. Does anybody know exactly where in Ft. Lauderdale did she reside?

Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Hello Sergio,

I think that Susan lived at an address called "Nurmi Drive".. but I'm not positive. I have written to a person who contributes to the message board. I think he can be more specific.. so hopefully, you can get a better answer soon. ....Ginger

Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Hi Ginger, Thank you so much for your help. I have always loved Susan Hayward since I was a Child. I never understood the attraction because I have never been a fanatic about anyone or anything. With Susan, it was different. I have loved so many of her films, she has always had a very special place in my heart. Since I now live in Ft. Lauderdale, I would love to go and see where she lived and stand there and think of her. I hope I won't start crying, I know it will be very emotional for me.

Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Sergio,

My Mom lived in two different locations in Ft. Lauderdale. She lived on Nurmi Drive off 842 from about 1965 until around 1969. I no longer remember the exact address but I do remember that it was the next to the last house on the right side of the street before you have to turn around.

In about late 1969 she moved into a condo at the Four Seasons which was on the right hand side of the street on 842 ( before the bridge over the causeway) as one is headed towards the beach from Nurmi Drive. I believe the address was 333. This is the location that she had to go over the balcony when she started a fire - ( A lit cigarette fell out an ashtray onto her white pile carpet) - in December of 1970. I was going to the University of Miami at the time and was pulled out of class when it was reported on local TV. She just got in her boat after the event and cruised around off-shore for a day - a glass of Jack Black in hand.

She moved to California late in the Summer of 1971 just before I graduated. I lived with her for about two months in a house she leased in " Birdland" off Doheny, North of the Sunset Strip.

Kind regards,

Timothy Barker

Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Hi. I live in Hollywood, Fla. (not far from Ft. Lauderdale). The address of the house is 220 Nurmi Drive. I have gone out of my way many times to drive past it & think of Susan. I have also showed it to friends & my mom, when she visits from NY. (We're originally from Brooklyn Like Susan The condo is at 333 Sunset Drive.

Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Steven, Thank you so much. I, like yourself, have loved Susan since I first saw her in our small black and white TV back in NYC in the 1950's. It wasn't untill I was an adult that a friend of mine, also a Susan fan, told me where she lived. I always wanted to know where her home had been, now I can finally see it. All I have to do is find out where Nurmi drive is and I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you sooooooo much. Sergio

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Sergio,

Yup, Steven got it right - it was 220 Nurmi Drive.You can turn left or right off A1A ( at the corner where Crazy Gregg's and The Elbow Room used to be) proceed East over the causeway for about a mile and you'll see Nurmi Drive on the right hand side.

Best to you both,

Timothy Barker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Once again, thank you for your time. I have to dig out my book on Susan's life and go through the pages of pictures and see a picture of you so I'll see what you look like.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

You're welcome Sergio! I'm glad I could help. And Timothy, your input here is very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc.!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Well folks, I finally fullfilled a dream I've had for over 30 years. Thank you Steven, and Timothy. I drove to the two places she lived. Thank God, 220 Nurmi, is still there. Most of the old homes from the 50's and 60's are now just history, replaced by hugh over designed mini mansions......pathetic. It was such a joy that her home was still there in all it's original beauty. Then I went to the Four Season condo, I can't believe I live so close to where she lived, very cool.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Sergio.. that is really nice. I'm glad you had the opportunity to do that. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Ginger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

Thank you Julie for that extra information. I had no idea that Ft. Lauderdale had so much Susan Hayward history. I also want to thank Ginger, who without her I never would have received messages from Timothy and Steven letting me know where she had lived. From Ft. Lauderdale, home of Susan Hayward and Sergio, have a great day.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

You're very welcome, Sergio.. glad to be of help..

Ginger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where did Susan live in Ft. Lauderdal Fl.

I am very glad for you, I wish I was in your shoes.....just to see the place our dear Susan lived and imagine her presence still there. What a grand experience for you.