​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Deadline At Dawn" on TMC

A hard-bitten dance-hall entertainer comes to the aid of a bewildered sailor suspected of murder.
B/W 1946 Bill Williams, Paul Lucas, Osa Massen.
Turner Movie Classics, Friday July 23- 7:15AM,
check local listings for correct time be shown in your area.

Re: "Deadline At Dawn" on TMC

This is one of my favorite Susan Hayward pictures. It's great film noir, and she's great in the part of a hard-bitten yet sympathetic "night moth." I understand this was her first film role after she had her twin sons, and she looked gorgeous, with her upswept hairdo, and wearing the one outfit throughout the picture (at least that is the only dress I recall).

If any of you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it highly.

Re: Re: "Deadline At Dawn" on TMC

Yes I second that recommendation. It is a very under rated film noir, and Susan plays an interesting double layered character. Where two years earlier, Barbara Stanwyck delivered a stunning portrayal of pure evil in "Double Indemnity", Barbara's Phyllis Dietrichson was utterly remorseless and pitiless.

In 'Deadline..' Susan does a great job with the jaded, weary, cynical dance hall girl persona, but also conveys that underlying capacity for compassion and fair play, which, probably against the better judgement of her surface tough "night moth" (as Gloria mentions)nature, propels her on the mission to save the non sophisticated Bill Williams character.

(Interesting Gloria, about this being her first film role after motherhood. Talk about getting one's figure back in tip top shape after twins !! )

Kerry

Kerry

Kerry

Re: Re: Re: "Deadline At Dawn" on TMC

I love this film also. Susan is drop dead gorgeous in that black dress with her hair swept up. BTW, Gloria, Susan does wear an evening type gown at the beginning of the film and her hair is down.. remember when she was dancing with the older guy..she was "paid" to "dance."

Re: Re: "Deadline At Dawn" on TMC

Ginger: You're right. She was wearing a gown at the beginning and did have her hair down. I wasn't sure and since she wore that one dress with her hair up, that's what stood out in my memory.

Didn't she also wear her hair up in "Fighting Seabees?" She looked so good with her hair that way, I'm surprised she didn't wear it that way more. Then again, her hair was gorgeous no matter how she wore it.

Re: Re: Re: "Deadline At Dawn" on TMC

This is a very underated movie. Susan did a great job. She always seemed to come through with the right personna in any role she played. I also wish she and Clark gable had made more pictures together. The seemed to fit just right. His "I'll cut you down to size" and her "Not in this lifetime, buster" says it all.