​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Judy Garland as Helen Lawson ("Valley Of The Dolls")

Click on the link above to see Judy Garland as Helen Lawson. (It's hard to believe Judy was only 45 at the time. It's also hard to imagine her in the role played so well by Susan Hayward).

Judy Garland as Helen Lawson ("Valley Of The Dolls") [PART II]

Here's another photo.

Re: Judy Garland as Helen Lawson ("Valley Of The Dolls") [PART II]

This dress looks like the one Susan wore when she was singing, "I"ll Plant My Own Tree", even the hair duo looks similar. It was probably in the script like this.

Re: Judy Garland as Helen Lawson ("Valley Of The Dolls")

Judy DID look very ravaged for her age - hardly a surprise that she died so very young only two years later.

Tammy Grimes and Bette Davis were both considered as Garland's replacement before Susan actually took the role. (I really can't see Bette in this particular part at all - ??)

Kerry

Re: Re: Judy Garland as Helen Lawson ("Valley Of The Dolls") [PART II]

The other outfit (suit) looks as though it would have been used in the dressing room scene, when Anne goes to see Helen to sign some contracts.

View Susan's Helen Lawson gown...

Susan's "Helen Lawson" gown (in link).

Re: Re: Judy Garland as Helen Lawson ("Valley Of The Dolls")

Judy made great use of the sparkly pantsuit that Susan also wore in the film. She was able to take it with her when she lost the role and wore it many times in concert! There are a few photos of her in that suit. So, in the end, Judy got something for her efforts.