​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

A cross isn't a bad thing to see...it can be beautiful. And everybody has one.

Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

Ginger,

I believe this to be Leah speaking in "Garden of Evil".

Trish

Re: Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

Oops - I made a booboo - I meant to say Hooker said the lines to Leah!!

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

Trish, you are correct.. Hooker said it to Leah. I watched this film (again) this past week. I thought Susan and Gary Cooper had very good chemistry. The scenery is beautiful in the film..also it's enjoyable watching a very young Rita Moreno who BTW is still beautiful and talented. There are a couple of other quotes from the film that I love.. these may not be verbatim but in essence they are:

(as Richard Widmark's character is dying)..see that (referring to the sunset)...it leaves every day and always takes somebody with it.")

The other quote I like is at the end of the film when Hooker (Cooper) says : " I guess if the world were made up of gold, people would kill to get a handful of dirt."

Ginger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

Ginger,

I also think Gary Cooper and Susan had good chemistry together (he is one of my favourite male stars and also Richard Widmark). I really loved Susan's hair in this movie and the story line was good too ... plenty of action with awesome scenery. Also, as you mentioned, there were some good quotes. This would have been a hard time for her with having to film this in Mexico and leaving the boys behind at a very vulnerable time in all their lives

This was a great movie especially when seen originally on the big screen.

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

Trish, I think I can count on one hand the amount of Susan Hayward films I've actually seen on the big screen. Offhand, I can think of "Back Street", "I'd Climb The Highest Mountain," and "Where Love Has Gone", and "I Thank A Fool."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1

Ginger,

As I first started to idolize Susan in 1950, I had a lot of years to see her films on the big screen so I did see the majority of them and was also able to catch up on the ones from the forties. I spent many, many happy hours in the cinema just seeing "the best actress of all time". However, I prefer present day viewing even if it is confined to a small screen as I can see her whenever I like! I do so appreciate the wonders of technology.

On saying that though, there was the wonder of Cinemascope especially in films such as Garden of Evil where the scenery was breath-taking and even The Conqueror was fantastic on the big screen.

I remember well the impact of With a Song in My Heart with people queueing up to see it and many staying to see it through yet again. Naturally, I was one of them and actually saw it eight times during the three days it was shown in my home town. (They started at 2p.m. and ended about 10.30pm with three showings of the main film in those days). I actually played truant from school one of the days.

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quote/From Which Hayward film?/No. 1//WASIMH

Trish, I wish I had a memory of seeing With A Song In My Heart when it first came out in theaters.. lucky you. I first saw With A Song In My Heart when I was about 13. There was this really neat program on Saturday nights called Saturday Night At The Movies and I LIVED for those Saturday nights.. ha...anyway, they showed films from the 20th Century Fox vault/archives.. many of the films were Susan's. I thought With A Song In My Heart was one of the most wonderful films ever made and still do. I had never heard of Jane Froman until I saw that film. Susan truly portrayed Jane Froman beautifully and as has been written previously, the two will forever be inseparable in the eyes of the public. BTW.. there is a definite push by members of a group of people who uphold Jane Froman's memory, collect memorabilia (spell?), and meet once a year, to campaign to get this wonderful film released to video/dvd. It's long overdue.

Re: Having With A Song In My Heart released to video/dvd

Please let that happen soon ! I had no idea that all these older movies were not already out on video, at least.

Perhaps it is because the film contains so much music that the video producers have trouble getting permission for all the song rights to be okayed for such purposes ?

I recall seeing the "Song" film on Saturday Night at the Movies, as well.

Like you, my only Susan film seen on a big theater screen was "Garden of Evil". It made a great impression on me as a 10 year old. Ann

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Trish, I wish I had a memory of seeing With A Song In My Heart when it first came out in theaters.. lucky you. I first saw With A Song In My Heart when I was about 13. There was this really neat program on Saturday nights called Saturday Night At The Movies and I LIVED for those Saturday nights.. ha...anyway, they showed films from the 20th Century Fox vault/archives.. many of the films were Susan's. I thought With A Song In My Heart was one of the most wonderful films ever made and still do. I had never heard of Jane Froman until I saw that film. Susan truly portrayed Jane Froman beautifully and as has been written previously, the two will forever be inseparable in the eyes of the public. BTW.. there is a definite push by members of a group of people who uphold Jane Froman's memory, collect memorabilia (spell?), and meet once a year, to campaign to get this wonderful film released to video/dvd. It's long overdue.