​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smash Up Again on TV

This movie is being played again on Turner Classic
Movies, on April 20. Check local listings for the time.
The movie was Susan's first Academy Award nomination for
best actress.

Re: Smash Up Again on TV/a little trivia

Thanks for the tip, Amy.. here are a couple of trivia questions for you or anybody else. "Smash-Up" was loosely based on a famous singer and his alcoholic wife. Who was the singer and what was his wife's name?

Re: Re: Smash Up Again on TV/a little trivia

I think the singer was Bing Crosby and his wife Dixie Lee?

This is a stunner of a film and a role in which Susan could really show her skills. She was just so beautiful in this one (well in every film naturally). I am afraid she really showed up Lee Bowman's inadequacies as an actor but Marsha Hunt and the great Eddie Albert were excellent supporting players.

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Smash Up Again on TV/a little trivia

My guess was going to be Bing Crosby and Dixie Lee, too. Dixie's life ended tragically, dying of ovarian cancer in 1952 at the age of only 40.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Smash Up Again on TV/a little trivia

Howard & Ginger:

It was definitely Bing Crosby and Dixie Lee. Bing and Bob Hope didn't only share movie roles together, they shared women as well. Crosby was a woman chaser par excellence while pretending to be such a goodie-two-shoes religious man. No wonder Dixie took to booze. She should have taken to her lawyer instead for divorce papers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smash Up Again on TV/a little trivia

Trish, Howard, and Gloria, you are all correct.. the answer is Bing Crosby and Dixie Lee.

The "catfight" scene in the ladies room with Susan and Marsha Hunt is a classic. I've seen it copied in other areas of film. I saw it done in a soap opera scene once.. none can top it. That's a great scene!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smash Up Again on TV/a little trivia

Susan is so beautiful in that movie. The fight scene is delicious and the juicy dialogue that precedes the fight is delivered brilliantly by Susan.
She is, by far, the best thing in the movie.