​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: A SALUTE TO BARBARA ... AND ...

Ginger, thanks for the go-ahead to share other stories about these events. I wasn't sure if you wanted us to discuss non-Susan topics on this board.

As it turns out, I was eager to tell you about seeing Lillian on screen for the first time. She appeared with Barbara Stanwyck in the film I saw last Friday night, "Ladies They Talk About" (1933). It was one of the first women's prison films and she played one of Barbara's jail buddies. She had some nice screen time and sang one number.

I don't know whether it was just me focusing on her, but I do believe she stole those scenes from Barbara (or Barbara let her steal them!) because my eyes were riveted on her. She displayed an engaging personality with a wide-open smile and a cute dimple in her cheek. Let's just say, she lit up the screen.

I purposely went to see this film just to see her, and it was well worth it. The film itself was a hoot, with a lot of great character women playing the jailbirds and their matrons.

Then on Saturday night I saw another Stanwyck double feature -- both from the '50s -- a time I can really identify with. Pat Crowley was in the audience for the second film "There's Always Tomorrow," in which she had a supporting part. I don't know if you know her. But she looks quite fit and attractive at 60-something.

Anyway, that's all from under Hedda's hat! Ha.

Jill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A SALUTE TO BARBARA ... AND ...

I think Lillian Roth had that certain star-quality.

Not too long ago I saw Madam Satan on TCM, a rather bizarre Cecil B. DeMille concoction of romantic comedy and disaster film, from 1930. She played the supporting part of a homewrecker, but did it in such a cute and vivacious way you tended to forget the female lead, Kay Johnson.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A SALUTE TO BARBARA ... AND ...

Jill, you should have a special thread of your own here entitled "Hedda's Hat."...!

Really, that was the first time you had seen Lillian on film? I've seen that particular film, "Ladies They Talk About" on Turner Classic movies. Lillian was a wonderful actress and singer and she sparkled on film. The first film I actually saw her in was entitled "Madam Satan" and I marveled at her onscreen persona... yes,she just lights up the screen for sure...and she was so funny. She was very good at drama too. "Ladies" was one of those pre-code films wasn't it? ..and Stanwyck had all that blonde hair..oh, she was a tough cookie.. LOL loved it.. !!

I do vaguely remember Pat Crowley.

Oh, you are so lucky!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A SALUTE TO BARBARA ... AND ...

Ginger, you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing that I should have my own Hedda column/thread. I also thought of another title, "Dispatches from Hollywood."

I don't know how I missed seeing Lillian on film, but not having TCM probably accounts for it. Her films are not generally shown at the various screenings around town, unless they are connected with a big star, as this film was.

I don't think "Ladies They Talk About" was pre-code; at least there wasn't anything risque about it. Another film in the Stanwyck series, "Baby Face," was labeled pre-code, and supposedly it has quite a few "racy" scenes. I did not see that film. Am not much of a fan of early Stanwyck for some reason. I like her films of the '40s and '50s.

Jill