​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jill, you heard Osbourne live; I almost did!

Gloria,

I wish I had known about your question because I could have talked to Osborne for nothing that night as he "held court" in the theater lobby after the event. Anyone could have walked up to him. A few people were gathered around talking to him, but at the time I didn't think to ask him anything about Susan. Oh well, next time -- and there always is in this town.

Enjoyed your comments.

Jill

Re: Re: Jill, you heard Osbourne live; I almost did!

Jill:

You have my standing request that any time you have the opportunity to go one-on-one with Osbourne, you may (PLEASE!!!) ask him my question: what did he really think of Susan?

Thanks.

Gloria

Re: Re: Re: Jill, you heard Osbourne live; I almost did!

Gloria, you have my promise that I will tackle him the next time I see him. Ha.

What I was curious to know was did he ever mention interviewing Susan? If so, what did he say about her? Of course, at the Academy event he only talked about Stanwyck.

Jill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jill, you heard Osbourne live; I almost did!

Jill:

According to Beverly Linet's book on Susan, "Portrait of a Survivor," in Susan's last conversation with Osborne, she said: "When you're dead, you're dead. Nobody is going to remember me when I'm dead. Oh, maybe a few friends will remember me affectionately. Being remembered isn't the most important thing anyhow. It's what you do when you are here that's important." (Well, she certainly didn't realize how many of us would remember her, did she?)

The way that was written in the book, it sounded like either her last interview, or certainly one very close to her last.

Also, at the end of TCM's showing of "Ada" during their Susan Hayward day last August (or maybe August 2005; I'm not sure), Robert Osborne had a devilish smile on his face when he said that nobody was as feisty as Susan Hayward. The man looked to me to have been an admirer, and that's why I was so eager to have my friend ask him his honest opinion of her.

Well, maybe one day you'll have the chance. I hope so.

Gloria

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jill, you heard Osbourne live; I almost did!

Gloria, thanks for reminding me of that quote. I remember it well and have always felt badly that she would even think like that. But I forgot who conducted the interview. That certainly would have been a conversation opener with Osborne. I just didn't connect him with that quote. Woe is me.

BTW, he did a great job interviewing Olivia de Havilland when she was honored at the Academy a while back. He seems to have quite a rapport with the ladies of the golden age. I know Olivia seemed to relish talking to him.

I am hoping there will be another chance, so I can do all the Susan fans proud.

Jill