​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When did you first meet Susan Hayward?

It was ' Rawhide" with Ty Power. Somewhere in the early 50's. Despite my extremely callow youth and utter lack of knowledge of the finer points of acting or cinema production, for some unknown reason, I was mesmerised by Susan Hayward's character Vinnie Holt.

From then on, I developed a love for movies and a fascination with La Hayward in particular.

Kerry

Re: Re: When did you first meet Susan Hayward?

Kerry, Rawhide is in the works to be released on DVD. I really liked the film, and I just about went nuts before they got that opening cut out in the wall for escaping.

The little girl was adorable too. hmm... wonder where she is now? LOL

Re: Re: Re: When did you first meet Susan Hayward?

Kerry and Ginger,

Yes ... RAWHIDE ... Susan's hair was so fantastic in that one and she looked absolutely stunning I always loved it.

Little Callie was so cute but as she was probably only around 16 months old, it made me worry how she was just put on that camp bed in the corner - yet she didn't fall off, at least, we didn't see it!!!! It was such a dangerous thing to do.

The lovely Tyrone made an impact too - he and Susan were great together and especially in UNTAMED. one of my all-time favourites. As Phil mentioned the green satin dress and the long hair Susan wore in that one -no-one could ever have looked more beautiful than she did. This has always been an under-rated film and I never knew why! The film score is fantastic too and I have it on a cd.

Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: When did you first meet Susan Hayward?

Ginger and Trish

I will be on the lookout for the DVD as I have not seen this - literally - since the first viewing in the 50's. Truly.
It has never run on our TV here and I have never seen it on VCR anywhere in my travels.
No doubt had I gone online I could probably have located a copy, but a DVD release would be marvellous.

However, as a testament to the effect, I can indeed recall them digging the hole in the wall ( Susan slipped the knife into a water jug to smuggle it into the room I think ?), how she took Callie outside and kicked the knife back when it flew out into plain sight, and it eventually broke off in the wall maybe ?

The final gunfight with one of the villains ( probably wonderfully nasty looking Jack Elam) shooting at Callie to force them out of cover ( were they behind the water trough perhaps ?).

Anyway - the amount of detail recalled from a minor western that I have not seen for over 50 years indicates the stunning effect Susan Hayward when I first spotted her on screen.

Great stuff indeed.

Kerry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When did you first meet Susan Hayward?

Kerry, now I've got to get my old vhs copy out and watch it!!... I believe it is on Fox Movie Channel from time to time since they show a lot of old 20th Century Fox films from their vault. Do you have access to the Fox Movie Channel? I need to watch Rawhide again because I can't remember the answers to your questions.. ha.. I do remember the scene when Callie got loose and there was gunfire all around her. I'll be glad when it's out on dvd and I bet it will have some extra features! It's amazing that it made such an impression on you. You'll certainly enjoy seeing it again.

BTW.. Susan was always exceptional in her scenes with children. She was very natural and good with kids.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When did you first meet Susan Hayward?

I know this post is terribly old, but I was venturing through this message board (I really need to come here more often), and I thought this was a really good topic to think about! Some of you are very lucky to have seen so many of her movies, but I imagine I will someday haha.

A couple of years ago, I was in a "TCM mood" and was watching it throughout the day. One of the movies that played was "I Want to Live!" I have to admit I was absolutely mesmerized by this movie. I was completely immersed in it, I thought it was so very good. Susan Hayward's performance in it was wonderful, and the last half hour was so suspenseful and so good. I believe after that, I started looking for Susan Hayward movies whenever I could and I'll watch anything with her in it now! My favorite is "I'll Cry Tomorrow" but "I Want to Live!" is right up there as #2.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Take care, everybody!