​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlton Heston

Ginger

Re the mention of the younger gen, dismissing Charlton Heston because of the gun lobby stance and perceived right wing leanings etc - they obviously are unaware of his extraordinary committment to the civil rights movement in America in the early 60's.

He stood with Martin Luther King in the march on Washington in '63 - there are quite a few photos on the net showing him with Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier and other black actors at the time. He was in the forefront of Hollywood actors showing their support.

Also - I think (?) I read years ago that he was highly critical of the McCarthy witch hunt insanity and of America's involvement in Vietnam.

He may have become more conservative as he aged - most of us do - but I would warrant that he stood up and was counted a lot more than his youthful critics nowadays ever did or will.

Kerry

Re: Re: Charlton Heston

Kerry, I agree, but many of the younger generation (not all!) even let the gun and later political affilations overshadow even his support of the civil rights movement--I see comments such as --"What killed Martin Luther King?"...JFK, RFK?"--- a gun..!"

I shouldn't even read that stuff. It's so immature, and it upsets me.