​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The birthday of Susan's favorite actress

I so endorse that Gloria. Without doubt, their tough Brooklyn upbringing helped shape the gutsy and independent personalities that they both possessed.

Barbara Stanwyck was a fine actress and like Susan, her range was formidable. Her Phyllis Dietrichson ( I think ?) in 'Double Indemnity' with the blonde wig and black heart gave a portrayal of duplicity and ruthlessness, a flint hard woman. Yet in 'Stella Dallas' she offers us a boozy, overdressed, social-climbing mother sacrificing all for her child's betterment. Best I don't turn this into a lengthy catalogue of all the diverse roles that she played so well - suffice to say that your point is correct.

I too while growing up, assumed that virtually all of Hollywood in the Golden Age, either knew each other professionally or socially, and was also amazed that two A list actresses of such long standing would not have met many, many times during their careers.

Kerry