​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Has everyone gone into Winter hibernation ?

" I haven't seen a Susan movie in a long while. I need a Susan fix ! Any recommendations ? I am sure that there are some that I have never seen."
-----------------------
ANN - I suspect that on THIS site, you won't lack for recommendations. LOL

It is very tough ( I think) to recommend particular films since the appreciation of cinema ( like any art form) is so deeply personal. What one person finds electrifying and stunning, another may be ambivalent about - and vice versa. Two people look at a sculpture, a painting, a Faberge Egg, or listen to a piece of music or read a passage of literature, or watch a ballet or modern dance sequence, attend a play etc - and you get two differing responses.

While the common chord here is that we all enjoy and admire Susan Hayward's body of work on screen - if you ask a cross section to name their five favourite movies - I imagine you will get quite some variance overall.

But in case a few names ring a bell and you may not have watched them,

From Noir ( which I deeply adore)

HOUSE OF STRANGERS
DEADLINE AT DAWN
THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME.

From Historical / Costumers

DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS
THE CONQUORER
DAVID AND BATHSHEBA
UNTAMED

From Westerns

THUNDER IN THE SUN
RAWHIDE
GARDEN OF EVIL

From Human Interest and Drama

SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO
I WANT TO LIVE
WITH A SONG IN MY HEART
I'LL CRY TOMORROW
SMASH UP...

From Adventurers

WHITE WITCH DOCTOR
JACK LONDON
TULSA
SOLDIER OF FORTUNE

and I haven't covered I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, CANYON PASSAGE, MY FOOLISH HEART, THE HAIRY APE, ADA, THE PRESIDENT'S LADY and more.

As mentioned, the above specifically named ones are the movies I would personally like to watch from her collection. But it all depends on what YOU enjoy cinematically, and your mood at the time etc.

Anyway - enjoy..

Kerry

Re: Re: Has everyone gone into Winter hibernation ?

AHH...A wonderful list of films Kerry. I have seen the majority over the years but don't recall ever hearing of "They Won't Believe Me". So...I shall attempt to chase that one down via a rental DVD... soon.

Thanks for the suggestions and your interesting comments... and about film and the arts, in general.

ANN

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

" I haven't seen a Susan movie in a long while. I need a Susan fix ! Any recommendations ? I am sure that there are some that I have never seen."
-----------------------
ANN - I suspect that on THIS site, you won't lack for recommendations. LOL

It is very tough ( I think) to recommend particular films since the appreciation of cinema ( like any art form) is so deeply personal. What one person finds electrifying and stunning, another may be ambivalent about - and vice versa. Two people look at a sculpture, a painting, a Faberge Egg, or listen to a piece of music or read a passage of literature, or watch a ballet or modern dance sequence, attend a play etc - and you get two differing responses.

While the common chord here is that we all enjoy and admire Susan Hayward's body of work on screen - if you ask a cross section to name their five favourite movies - I imagine you will get quite some variance overall.

But in case a few names ring a bell and you may not have watched them,

From Noir ( which I deeply adore)

HOUSE OF STRANGERS
DEADLINE AT DAWN
THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME.

From Historical / Costumers

DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS
THE CONQUORER
DAVID AND BATHSHEBA
UNTAMED

From Westerns

THUNDER IN THE SUN
RAWHIDE
GARDEN OF EVIL

From Human Interest and Drama

SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO
I WANT TO LIVE
WITH A SONG IN MY HEART
I'LL CRY TOMORROW
SMASH UP...

From Adventurers

WHITE WITCH DOCTOR
JACK LONDON
TULSA
SOLDIER OF FORTUNE

and I haven't covered I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, CANYON PASSAGE, MY FOOLISH HEART, THE HAIRY APE, ADA, THE PRESIDENT'S LADY and more.

As mentioned, the above specifically named ones are the movies I would personally like to watch from her collection. But it all depends on what YOU enjoy cinematically, and your mood at the time etc.

Anyway - enjoy..

Kerry

Me, too. I was without a DVD player for quite a while. I broke it when I put one of her movies in there, ha! Now I have to get another one. I have it now, so maybe I will just watch a whole bunch of her movies on a Friday. Sounds good. I would always recommend With a Song in My Heart. It's so heartwarming :D

I'm sorry. I didn't see your reply there, Kerry, the first time.

I've always hated cold. I get cold very easily, while I can deal with warmth. I embrace it. I highly doubt, to tell you the truth, that I'll ever be able to EMBRACE cold. And there are so many other things besides weather that are great about southern California as well, haha. Except for the wildfires, of course....

Ann:

Having been to New England several times, I absolutely love it in autumn. Of course, the leaves turn here in PA in the fall also, but they start earlier in New England, and somehow they just seem even more brilliant when they do.

Unlike Desiree and Kerry, I don't like summer. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and believe it or not, I love winter, too -- just not ice, LOL.

As to Susan's films, Kerry mentioned a lot of excellent ones. Of course, we women do love our tear-jerkers, too, so I manage to watch Back Street and Stolen Hours probably more than some of the others. Of course, I know Back Street is not a great pix; it's melodramatic and completely unbelievable in many ways, but to see Susan in glamorous clothes against backdrops of gorgeous settings, well, what more does any right-thinking woman need?

Stolen Hours is difficult to watch, I know, because of the similarities to Susan's real life travails. But here again, we get to see lovely settings like the English countryside, and I think Susan's performance was beautifully understated (unlike the histrionics of Bette Davis in the former version of the film).

And looking at hunky guys like Michael Craig and John Gavin isn't hard to take either!

As to They Won't Believe Me, it's a very good film. I'm not a fan of Robert Young, but I think he gave a fine performance here of an innately bad guy. Susan's part was not the major one, but as usual, she was excellent. And the ending was not anticipated! I recommend it highly.

I don't know if Kerry mentioned The Lusty Men, but this is one I enjoyed, even though I hate rodeos. I know Susan and Robert Mitchum didn't get along well, but that certainly didn't show on celluloid. (Or maybe that's why they were so good on film; a little sexual tension?)

Here's to some great watching, for those days when the weather outside turns too rough for even us cold-weather gals to take!

Gloria

Re: Re: Has everyone gone into Winter hibernation ?

I love fall and winter.. fall is my favorite.. I don't mind winter because I work at home.. ha..I love my fireplace, hot chocolate, candles, and I love it when it gets dark early. I am a vampire. haha

I'm sure Susan must have loved fall in Georgia unless she might have had allergies which I never remember hearing such.

Re: Re: Re: Has everyone gone into Winter hibernation ?

Hello Ginger...

Yes I often hope that Susan got to enjoy even the simple little pleasures of the average person while she had life and health. I suppose that is a testament to how much we fans all love her.

I am pleased to see the new magazine cover you have posted here. Gorgeous and sultry Susan ! ANN