​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BIG...STORIES...BIG...NEWS...AFTER....OSCAR WIN...>>>

At the risk of being a name-dropper again, I would like to add my two cents to this discussion. A few years ago I met Esther Williams at a church she attends here in L.A. I told her how much I enjoyed her autobiography and especially got a kick out of her final retort to Jeff Chandler when he called her up to his bedroom and presented himself to her wearing woman’s makeup and a polka dot dress. Naturally, she was flabbergasted by what she saw, and when he asked if she could go along with their engagement knowing of his predilection, she said in no uncertain terms she could not handle it. Her parting remark to him was something to the effect that, “By the way, Jeff, you are too tall to wear polka dots.” When I quoted this comment back to Esther, she quickly corrected me by stating exactly what she had said. (The fact that she remembered the line verbatim says a lot.) A friend who was with her then asked if she had ever heard from Jeff’s family about the episode, and Esther said no. Needless to say, if the story was untrue, they could have filed a libel suit.

I guess I feel differently about her telling this story. I believe autobiographies should be truthful and since this was a big part of her experience, I think she had a right to tell the story. I also think that beyond her joking, she was hurt to be called up to his bedroom, only to be confronted with a man in woman’s clothes and not the romantic encounter she envisioned.

As someone who has had my own share of weird experiences with the opposite sex, I applaud Esther for being real. Unfortunately, I agree with Bette Davis’s assessment of actors in Hollywood, to wit: “An actress is more of a woman and an actor is less of a man.” Of course, there are exceptions if you want to include Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart and William Holden, but then they drank.

Re: BIG...STORIES...BIG...NEWS...AFTER....OSCAR WIN...>>>

Jill:

I agree with you that autobiographies should be truthful about everything they report. (Some people may say, why report a cross-dressing Chandler, but heck, the woman was contemplating marrying him. By itself, that's reason enough, I say!)

Frankly, I loved her retort about the polka dots, LOL.

I agree with Bette Davis's remark about actresses and actors, too. Who knew better than la Davis about the subject? I also loved her comment about old age not being for sissies. I keep learning more and more about that as the years go by.

I guess the only thing that troubles me about any of these stories on celebrities is that they seem to occur more after they're dead and can't respond to them. But such is the nature of gossip, and we do pay attention to it.

Re: Re: BIG...STORIES...BIG...NEWS...AFTER....OSCAR WIN...>>>

I believe in telling the truth too, but some things, I think, could be omitted...just my own thoughts..everyone feels differntly about it. If I were a member of Jeff Chandler's family, I wouldn't have appreciated Esther Williams "broadcasting" that information, but then, again, to each his own.

Pretty cool,though, Jill, that you actually met and talked with Esther Williams.