​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: With A Song In My Heart/February film

The "With A Song In My Heart" production number in the film is glorious. Susan's mime in this film is perfection.

I have only seen this film on television or computer. I hope I get to see it on the big screen someday. I can just imagine how beautiful this film looks like on the big sceen.

Ginger,

Regarding Dianne Thomas who started The Susan Hayward Collectors Club - I was told when I visited Susan's grave and the church in Carrollton that Dianne had married and gone to live in Florida. Such a shame the Club finished like that although I only heard it existed in recent years.

I am very fortunate in that I now have copies of all the newsletters sent out back in 1985/91 thanks to a kind gentleman who was a member and they are so interesting to read.

Trish

Trish, wow..that's neat having all those newsletters. Check out the ones in 1985 or 1986. I remember writing a little article or some sort of thoughts about Susan. It's been so long ago.

Maybe you could share some of the info in them from time to time , just for fun.

That would be neat to see some of those newsletters. Trish did mentioned she had some of them, that is such a prize that she was able to obtain them. As far as the club is concerned, it just folded up with no reason. I tried to write to Dianne some years ago, but the letters came back to me. I heard she is living in Flordia. Also the Debbie Reynolds museum did exist in Las Vegas, but that was some years ago. I believe Jill has the answer about Debbie's museum. I remember I wrote a letter to Debbie Reynolds inquiring about the gowns of Susan in WASIMH, but I never received a reply from her, it figures!!! That such a long time ago.

Ray, I didn't remember that you were a part of that Dianne Thomas group. Small world, isn't it? I don't even remember how I found out about it. I must have seen it advertised in a magazine.

When I first moved to the Kansas City area, in 1985, I met a young woman in my church and she was from Carrollton,Ga. Well, you know I started pumping her for info first thing.. ha...what I remember her telling me, that stood out most, is that Susan was very down to earth while there and she drove around in a pick-up truck ( which I think has been mentioned in a book or two), and that she didn't wear make it, and was really friendly.. nothing but positive thoughts from this young woman about Susan.

Sorry..that should have been "HOE that Corn."...LOL..duh

The weather all weekend here (and today) and continuing for most of this week, has been -- and will continue being -- terrible. Rain, rain and more rain. A perfect time for a Susie film festival.

Of course, I started with WASIMH, as that was the one that made me a fan for life of this lady. To this day, whenever I hear so-called experts say that the best musical ever made was "Singing in the Rain," I want to shout out, "Haven't you seen 'With a Song In My Heart?'"

"Singing" was a film of songs and dancing, yes, but there was no heart to it, no human warmth as in WASIMH. I cannot even put them on the same level, and not only because of my admiration of Susan Hayward.

It was such a relief to finally hear some experts in the Special Features section of the WASIMH DVD say that, to them, this was the greatest musical ever. And they were all so mindful of Susan's wonderful performance and her "graciousness" (actually said by one),
especially towards Bob Wagner -- not only because he was a young actor who felt insecure about his performance, but also because she knew instinctively that concentrating on his reactions to her was more important in their two scenes together than concentrating on her only.

I always believed that Susan was a great actress because she WAS so instinctive. I believe that had she so desired, she could have become a great director, due, in large part, to this ability of hers. Robert Wise knew that she had these instincts, and he was right.

Am I saying that there were no less-than-perfect parts to this film? No. First, some of the dialog was dated, as would be expected from a film made over a half century ago. But what hadn't changed was the warmth, the human emotion, and the wonderful music that has stood the test of time.

WASIMH will always be my favorite Hayward picture. I am so very glad Jeanne Crain didn't get it!

Gloria, I watched some of the film (WASIMH) last night.. I'm up to the scene with Robert Wagner and "tea for two"...oh, he was good looking, and Susan of course was breathtakingly beautiful and warm of heart. I first saw this film on a television show on Saturday nights called "Saturday Night At The Movies"...remember that?...They ran a lot 20th century fox films. I remember seeing "Garden of Evil" and "White Witch Doctor on it also....also "Untamed."

I think WASIMH is one of the finest musicals ever.