​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
March Movie/The Fighting Seabees

I started this film on Memorial Day week-end, and finished it on July 4th week-end..am I slow or what?, but the timing seems appropriate.
Anyway, with all the new technology , I have a habit of having several films going at once, a little at a time, ...crazy.. yeah.

I hadn't watched The Fighting Seabees in quite a while. I suppose it was a propaganda type film and gave the country a positive boost in the midst of war.
Although, I think of it more as a man's movie, it has some nice scenes with Susan, and I really like the party scene at the beginning of the film, when John Wayne jitterbugs, and the boys are having a "swell" time. I like Willliam Frawley in it, and this was about 6 years before he REALLY became famous as Fred in "I Love Lucy."

I had never heard the phrase, "dance with the guy that brung you" until this film, and it always kind of stuck with me. I like it.

My Foolish Heart/April movie is next/..I love that film, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Watch it with me if you want.

Re: March Movie/The Fighting Seabees

My favorite scene is with John Wayne after she got shot. Very touching. She was so pretty in this film too.

Christina, wasn't John Wayne just the greatest?... and I know that he was a favorite leading man of Susan's.. maybe THE favorite...?...He was such a great American. There are many who make fun of him in this day and time, and/or sneer at his patriotism and love of country. Do I understand or relate to that? No! John Wayne, we miss you and do we ever need you again, although you would turn over in your grave if you saw what was going on now. I have faith it will get better, just hope I can keep patience too.

Ginger...According to what Susan said, on the Joey Bishop Show...JOHN WAYNE was her favorite leading man.
Joey asked her that..and that was her reply. He also asked her if she had any 'new male' actors that she enjoyed watching. She couldn't remember the guys name, but said she liked that GUY who is on the tv series...
COWBOY IN AFRICA..which was CHUCK CONNERS.

CHUCK may have been new to Susan, but he had already made his name, long before COWBOY IN AFRICA, when he did the RIFLEMAN, tv series.

Errol, of course, yes, I do remember now that Susan said John Wayne was her favorite leading man (when she was on Joey Bishop).

I enjoyed this film, also. Along with her appearance in "Deadline at Dawn," I especially loved Susan's upswept hairdo. And, hey, as a woman, it never hurts to have two guys fighting over you, right?

I fondly recall seeing the Fighting Seabees on local TV one weekend afternoon around 1960. It was the first time I had ever seen Susan Hayward. I was 16 then and I've been a fan ever since.

~ ANN of New Hampshire ~

Gloria,
I also love Deadline at Dawn. She is adorable in that movie.

I also thought Susan was adorable in the ""Fighting Seabees" I remember seeing it back in the 50's on our Capehart TV with a 13" screen. Oh my, that was a long time ago. Susan made this in 1944, so she must have been around 27 years, this was the same year she married Jess. Tim and Greg were born the following year. I loved Susan teaming up with John and Dennis O'Keefe. Who got Susan in the end?

Actually I think the enemy shells got her.

No, "Connie" was alive and well at the end. Dennis O'Keefe got her.