​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MORE....THINGS WE MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN..ON SUSAN'S FILMS..>>

Yes..Gloria...I had heard the same thing about THE TWIST
being something that would 'date' the film. But what is the difference? Look at the wild party scene in I WANT TO LIVE! and tell me..that...music and dance was not right out of the period. Of course that was a true story
but, at the time of the actual Barbara Graham trouble, would that beatnik-type jazz have been from the same time period...or...was that an error..and that music was from the period we were...then..living in (mid '50's)

I ask this, because I don't remember if the Barbara Graham trial and all, took place in the mid '50's or before then. If so...then they updated the music to the time when the movie was being made and not when the actual story was happening.

Just something that you might know..because I don't?

Errol and Gloria - interesting discussion. If I can insert a two cents worth of comment, - Errol you were wondering re the date of Barbara Graham's event and the aptness of that 'beatnik / jazz' style soundtrack ?

I think it was pretty spot on for suitability. The arrest / trial and execution ran between 1953 and 1955 which was certainly appropriate for that type of music being popular on the party circuit. But for complete veracity I suppose we should look at the party scene you mention.

I have not watched IWTL for years now, but I think the film starts in a bar with a full on jazz band which is flawless inclusion. But the party scene in question happens very soon afterwards and I presume the War is still on or just ending since many of the partygoers were sailors and soldiers in uniform.

When Susan does her solo party girl dance, I think the main accompanient was bongo drums and I'm honestly not sure whether they were a part of the Jazz era ??? Very much so the 'Beatnik' era, but since Kerouac only coined the term 'Beat Generation' in 1948, and the party happens before that..... ?

I guess that any music featured from 1950 onwards in scenes would be able to include beatnik and similar influences and still be error free, and if Bongo drums were popular in Jazz (or in the 'jazz / party crowd) before then then the music for the party scene was probably accurate. If not ?

Kerry

Kerry and Errol:

Yes, the trial and subsequent execution of Barbara Graham did take place between 1953 and 1955, so I do think the jazz played in the movie was appropriate for that period.

As to the bongo drums, Kerry, I think they became popular back in the forties due to the influence of Hispanic musicians, such as Desi Arnaz and other band leaders. Most likely, that was the decade when Barbara Graham was doing her partying, and so I do think the bongo drums were also appropriate when Susan did that solo dance to them.

Hope this helps clear things up for you, Errol.

Kerry and Errol:

Yes, the trial and subsequent execution of Barbara Graham did take place between 1953 and 1955, so I do think the jazz played in the movie was appropriate for that period.

As to the bongo drums, Kerry, I think they became popular back in the forties due to the influence of Hispanic musicians, such as Desi Arnaz and other band leaders. Most likely, that was the decade when Barbara Graham was doing her partying, and so I do think the bongo drums were also appropriate when Susan did that solo dance to them.

Hope this helps clear things up for you, Errol.

Thanks Gloria - it looks as though in the case of IWTL, they got the appropriateness of the soundtrack, spot on.
I had completely forgotten the influx of those Cuban / Salsa Latin influences on American music in the 40's. Yes quite strong. Desi Arnez as you say, and I guess Xavier Cugat and Dizzy Gillespie (as a home grown player) was basically the mover of what became known as Afro / Cuban Jazz back then.

Kerry