​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MOVIE EVENT

Jill

Yes agreed. Your title does sound more like the regular Hollywood sequel what with ' Return of the Magnificent Seven'- 'Return to the Blue Lagoon' etc.

I am just happy that you are fully aware of the content of the Russ Meyer effort. I had visions of you innocently walking in and thinking you may be seeing a 'whatever happened to' update on Anne Welles, Neely O'Hara and the feisty Helen Lawson.
Imagine !!!!

You know, I have a feeling that Roger Ebert who ( for me at least) is one of America's finest and most incisive movie crits, may well have collaborated with Russ Meyer on 'Beyond...' ? I would have to look it up as memory often plays false, but after all it was a 1970 production and Roger was presumably not as august and sophisticated as he seems to be now.....

Kerry

I don't know what it is about Valley of the Dolls, but I always enjoy watching it..some of it is so campy and the acting is BAD (NOT SUSAN..she is what saved the film...Susan and the beautiful theme song sung by Dionne Warwick)....but I guess I enjoy the glamour and romance and musical numbers.. who knows?...I've never seen Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls...don't guess I'm missing anything.

Thanks, Jill.

Re: MOVIE EVENT..P.S.

P.S.

I hated the Patty Duke scene where she tore off "Helen's" wig, but I thought Susan was absolutely beautiful with white hair.. amazing. I would have never thought it.

Yes, I seem to recall Roger Ebert being involved -- in the writing perhaps? Oh well, I guess he is allowed one mistake.

Jill

Ginger:

As I mentioned, I am still on the fence about whether to see it or not. Certainly there are interesting aspects of the film as you noted. And I am not even sure I've actually seen the movie all the way through, ever. The campiness is still a draw -- obviously why the Egyptian is showing it.

But, again, that scene with Patty Duke screaming in the alley way -- don't think I can stand it.

I agree about the wig scene. Overdone and melodramatic, tho Susan does save the day with her dramatic exit and white hair.

You may recall that Susan's sister's hair went all white in real life. Remember that photo you sent me way back of her with Susan's niece?

Jill

Jill
Ginger:

I agree about the wig scene. Overdone and melodramatic, tho Susan does save the day with her dramatic exit and white hair.

Jill

On many occasions, I have read (on sites like IMDB for instance) people commenting on Susan's white hair. "Hey! She looks pretty good like that!"

It's amusing. Susan was brought in to clean up Judy Garland's mess. Too bad for Patty Duke and Barbara Parkins she mopped up the floor with those two. Maybe that's why, to this day, Patty Duke's attitude towards Susan seems to be somewhat hostile; on YouTube I read a comment by Duke, saying Susan Hayward was even meaner than Helen Lawson!

From what I understand, when doing her two-week stint in VOTD, she would do her scenes, and then go back to her dressing room. In other words pretty much keeping to herself. Maybe in Patty Duke's logic that qualifies as mean.

Or maybe sour grapes on Patty Duke's part.