​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SUSAN...TOPS THE LINE-UP...AFTER TCM VIEWINGS!!!

HOORAAY!!! After only...one day...of SUSAN HAYWARD movies being shown on TCM...the results are in!! People want...more!!

There is a place on TCM that shows which are the TOP TITLES and TOP STARS that viewers are requesting. Well, here are both lists...in order...as of today!

TOP TEN TITLES...(in order)
1. MY FOOLISH HEART
2. WHERE LOVE HAS GONE
3. THE HONEY POT
4. BACK STREET (1961)
5. THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER
6. STOLEN HOURS
7. TOPPER
8. REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE
9. TOP SECRET AFFAIR
10.ASSAULT ON A QUEEN

(SUSAN films a total of 6 out of 10 )

TOP STAR SEARCHES

1. SUSAN HAYWARD
2. CARY GRANT
3. BETTE DAVIS
4. JOHN WAYNE
5. BARBARA STANWYCK
6. HUMPHREY BOGART
7. IRENE DUNNE
8. ELIZABETH TAYLOR
9. RAY MILLAND
10.JOAN CRAWFORD..*SUSAN being #1 on this list*

Need we say...more..??

Well...yes, I guess we could say this...
THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO will be shown...tonight.
Check for your local times.

They recently showed...THE HAIRY APE and I MARRIED A WITCH, THUNDER IN THE SUN and WOMAN OBSESSED on FOX MOVIE CHANNEL...so maybe we will be seeing many more of her wonderful films being shown on both of these channels.

I am just go grateful that this..has finally happened

Re: SUSAN...TOPS THE LINE-UP...AFTER TCM VIEWINGS!!!

Errol,
Thanks for the info;that's certainly encouraging. Do
you think that SH fans dare hope for more-say in the
form of a STAR OF THE MONTH on TCM? I surely enjoyed
her films yesterday,though I would have enjoyed them
more if I could have gotten my recorder to work. While
I wish she would have done certain films she was offered and turned down as opposed to others she did
opt for,at the end of the day she is always a joy to
watch. For me,additionally,she always remained stun-
ning visually.

Hi Elaine...One can only hope, that this flow of TCM viewers requesting her films...and pushing her to the top of the chart for people asking, or inquiring on her and her films, means that....with a 'one day showing' of only some of her films...viewers took notice and seem to want..more! You don't make the top star on this list of 10 unless there is great interest...and of course it changes all the time.

I don't think TCM viewers (and I am thinking of younger viewers who are dedicated to watching the classic channel,...know much about Susan, since she is not seen very often here. I can't tell you how many times I have written on them using her as STAR OF THE MONTH or...at least a day devoted to her on film. I have pushed this and hounded them for over three years now, but nothing ever happened, until I got on their 'chat page' and brought this subject up.

I did get responses back on that chat page...many saying..."Yeah...I really liked Susan Hayward. Why have they left her out?"....to..."Who is she..what has she done?" (again, younger generations who never got a chance to know her and her movie work.)..and then even this comment, which..floored me!! "I really don't think it is TCM's fault that Susan is not given the STAR OF THE MONTH. You must remember that TCM has to 'rent' these films (??) and they probably don't have enough of her films to do a whole day or a STAR OF THE MONTH."

OH BOY...did I shoot back a reply on that one! I asked this person..."How can that even be possible?"
(first off I thought that TCM was a part of Ted Turner
who BOUGHT up films...way back, many years ago, to make this channel work.) Then I asked how many times they have shown films from RKO, PARAMOUNT, MGM, UNIVERSAL, WARNER BROS, ALLIED ARTISTS and her home studio, under contract..20th CENTURY FOX? Then I went on to name...a huge list of her films that had spurted for 'one time showings now and then' on TCM and the list went on and on. It was NOT that they don't have SUSAN FILMS...it is that they were NOT SHOWING THEM.

You would think that MARILYN MONROE was the only STAR who made 20th famous, when...in fact, Susan films were
making a gold mine out of that studio...for years! But
no credit has been given her for it. Growing up, I followed the movie magazines and who was big and bringing in 'the money' for the studios and who were there...along for the ride. SUSAN was a powerhouse for them...and they knew it! That is why Susan was not only a SUPER STAR IN THE USA...but..THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. She had HUGE followings in other countries.
You only have to look at the photos on foreign movie magazine covers that RAY has contributed to this site, to realize just how popular she was/and still is in many people's eyes!

SORRY...to go on and on...but your main question was do I think that they will ever give her STAR OF THE MONTH ON TCM. If a 'one day showing of her films' put her at the TOP of most interested Stars, for only a one day showing of 'some' of her films...then I would say...YES...They have finally seen the light...and don't have to give STAR OF THE MONTH to much lesser known or deserving stars...(and I was about to name some of them...but won't...lol)

IT ALWAYS HELPS IN THESE SITUATIONS...if THE FANS...
continue to write in to TCM and request that this happen for her. It finally worked with getting some of her films (With a Song in my Heart)..finally released to dvd..but it took the work of fans, like ourselves, in order to...push the issue forward!
(just a...suggestion to all)

As Ever...Errol

Errol, thanks for the info. That is fantastic...now, I'm ready for her to be Star of the Month!

Ginger...I think this will now happen! You have to give them what they seem to...want...and once they showed Susan's films...the people started responding!!

AGAIN...Love your new things on the site. What a wonderful job you have always done for OUR LADY. God Bless You for it!!

Hi Errol, so good to hear from you, not only from missing your input on this wonderful site; but for this super information on Susan's popularity during the 40's, 50's and 60's. Susan was awesome and was loved by so many fans around the world. I am still waiting for more Susan's movies on DVD's. I viewed "White Witch Doctor" a few weeks ago on tape and also "My Foolish Heart" Never get tired of seeing our beautiful Susan on TV. Take care and thanks again.

Hi Ray...TCM also showed (in a day of WILLIAM BENDIX films) THE HAIRY APE and Robert Osborne mentioned that this was..a first for TCM..that they had never had this in their archives until now. So..I do think other Susan films are going to surface and hopefully, they will do STAR OF THE MONTH on her.

You mentioned WHITE WITCH DOCTOR and MY FOOLISH HEART.
I love the latter and know that WITCH DR. was only done because of a 'deal' made between RKO and FOX at the time this one was made. You probably already know this story, but some others may not.

RKO wanted Susan to play opposite Robert Mitchum in THE LUSTY MEN, so the deal was that Mitchum would, in turn do a film with Susan under the FOX banner. The two disliked one another a lot, but the deal was a set deal...so WHITE WITCH DOCTOR was done, just to get the deal completed. Not that it was/is a very good film for either star, but has its moments and I really did like the chemistry in both films between the two of them on screen...mostly in LUSTY MEN, because it is a much better script and director..and if you look at the ratings films are given...LUSTY MEN gets a 4 1/2 star rating while WITCH only gets a 2 1/2 rating. Many have said that THE LUSTY MEN is one of the very best films ever done on rodeo..and it is..for sure!

I wanted to mention some films that I wish they would restore or put out for the public, that are NEVER SEEN. One is TAPP ROOTS, which I really liked. It used to show on TBS, many years ago..but now has vanished. Others are...THE SAXON CHARM, THE LOST MOMENT, HOUSE OF STRANGERS and AMONG THE LIVING. I have heard that THUNDER IN THE SUN has appeared..but if so...I missed it and wonder if that was on the FOX channel or where? If it was FOX..then there is a chance that it will show again in the future. I have a real bad copy of SIS' HOPKINS and wonder if that, too, will ever see the light of day again.

Just....some of her films...to ponder over...