​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Adam Had Four Sons"...early Tue. Morning on TCM...A MUST SEE!!..

HI Elaine...Boy!! The more I hear about this 'shady' book on Susan...the more I wonder..'who' this stupid dude is...and 'where'..is he getting his false info???

NO..Susan was never nominated for supporting actress for
"Adam.." The year was 1941 and here are the list of supporting actress nominees that year:

SARAH ALGOOD..."HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY"
MARY ASTOR..."THE GREAT LIE"
PATRICIA COOLINGE..."THE LITTLE FOXES"
TERESA WRIGHT..."THE LITTLE FOXES"
MARGARET WYCHERLY..."SERGEANT YORK"

THE WINNER...MARY ASTOR..."THE GREAT LIE"

I agree with you, that Susan would have been a great nominee, but feel that she did not have a 'studio' to back her, at that point of her career. "Adam Had Four Sons" was a Columbia picture..and did not receive ANY Oscar nominations. The following year, Susan was working for Paramount in "REAP THE WILD WIND" and United Artists in "I MARRIED A WITCH"...so she may have not been bound to a studio contract, during those years and you usually had to have a studio backing you for the awards.

I actually had the DVD and hadn't watched it yet. Loved it!! Boy oh boy, when Susan played bad she was BAD and I mean great. Only Susan Hayward could come into a home and turn it inside out like that! I also watched I'd Climb the Highest Mountain, one of my grandmother's favorites. I loved the scene where Susan lets the rich woman know her husband is off limits. Classic La Hayward.Those two movies show Susan had acting range. I've seen all but one of Susan's Oscar nominated movies, My Foolish Heart. Please let me know if anyone sees it's playing. I've looked everywhere to buy the DVD but no luck.

"Adam Had Four Sons" - An excellent film with a memorable storyline. I've thought often about the lead character and how he had it all, lost it, and then got it back....never give up!

I have never enjoyed the "mean, bad girl" as much as I enjoyed Susan as Hester. I can't even imagine anybody else in that role. Susan completely stole the film.

Paula - If you are a member of netflix, you can watch "My Foolish Heart", and "Sis Hopkins" for free on their "watch instantly"....also you could probably order the dvds from netflix, not sure, but I know for sure that you can watch these films instantly on your computer, and "Sis Hopkins" has been a hard one to find.

Ginger:

Great picture of Susan. Thanks.

Gloria, isn't that a beautiful photo?! I couldn't recall ever seeing it before until I came across it on the internet.