​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE....SUPPORTING ACTORS..IN SUSAN FILMS..??

Errol, like Trish, I too am thrilled to hear that John Gavin and Vera Miles had good things to say about Susan. But what bugs me is that Merv Griffin positioned his question on their relationship with her in a negative way, i.e., it's "well known" she didn't get along with co-stars (or however he phrased it). I'm glad they didn't fall for that bait.

I know Susan -- like all of us -- was not perfect. But I loved her for who she was, not who others wanted her to be. She was
-- and still is -- an original.

Trish and Gloria...I had to smile, when I read your remarks...about Merv and his try..'put-down' by saying that..it was known, in Hollywood, how hard Susan was to work with. I smiled...because if you ever watched the MERV GRIFFIN SHOW, you know he had a bad habit of asking a guest a question..and then..blurting out either before their answer..OR.. rudely interrupting the guest, while they are responding. He did it all the time..and this time, he got stopped..by the guests. It was also stated, by these stars, that Susan has remarked that she hoped VERA MILES role in BACK STREET would be a help to her acting career, as it had been for the woman who played it in an earlier version. Now, which 'earlier version' that was, I am not sure, but Susan had said it had really helped that actress gain praise for her role in the film. I thought VERA MILES was wonderful in the role and even though she and Susan only had one 'speaking scene' together, in the film, I think they complimented one another in their roles.

I also remember that it was another talk show, when ROBERT WAGNER had come to her defense, in the same manor, saying that she was 'most generous' in helping a 'new actor', like himself..and had even took him aside and was the first to show/teach him how to better himself, with camera angles and acting ability.
I do not remember which 'talk show' this happened on, but whomever the show-host was...was totally stunned, again...when a 'now-famous' actor came to our Susan's defense. MANY TIMES...Wagner has voiced his opinion on how much Susan did for him, at the time when he was 'green' to this business they call..'show'..

I wrote to Mr. Mitchum and Miss Miles
and both said "Susie was one of my favorites....
quiet, shy, dear, and lots of fun!"