​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top Lines ?

In 1995, to mark the 100 years of Cinema - Roger Ebert published his '100 Great Moments in Cinema'. While a very subjective list of course and no doubt some disagree with many inclusions or find others they love are not there - here are some of them to stir the memories...

-----------------------
Gloria had already added two that she particularly liked, one of which was a Susan Hayward line. Here are Gloria's two - and if anyone particularly liked other Susan lines or Susan movie moments that stand out exceptionally, ( best limit it to Susan as it is her message board and it would get way too bulky as a general movie ' great moments' post) feel free to add any.
----------------------------
Gloria's additions

The Best Years of Our Lives, when Frederic March comes back to his house, still wearing his uniform after WWII is over, and Myrna Loy, in the kitchen, slowly realizes that he's there.

I Want to Live, when one of the prison guards tells Susan Hayward (as Barbara Graham) how best to take the gas in her execution, and Barbara answers: "How do you know?" (I may be paraphrasing, but I think those were the words.)

==============================
Most of Roger's List ....

Clark Gable in "Gone With the Wind": "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a ****."

Buster Keaton standing perfectly still while the wall of a house falls over upon him; he is saved by being exactly placed for an open window.

Charlie Chaplin being recognized by the little blind girl in "City Lights."

The computer Hal 9000 reading lips, in "2001: a Space Odyssey."

The singing of "La Marseillaise" in "Casablanca."

Snow White kissing Dopey Bashful on the head.

John Wayne putting the reins in his mouth in "True Grit" and galloping across the mountain meadow, weapons in both hands.

Jimmy Stewart in "Vertigo," approaching Kim Novak across the room, realizing she embodies all of his obsessions - better than he knows.

Gene Kelly singin' in the rain.

Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta discuss what they call Quarter Pounders in France, in "Pulp Fiction."

The Man in the Moon getting a cannon shell in his eye, in the Melies film "A Voyage to the Moon."

Pauline in peril, tied to the railroad tracks.

A boy running joyously to greet his returning father, in "Sounder."

Harold Lloyd hanging from a clock face in "Safety Last."

Orson Welles smiling enigmatically in the doorway in "The Third Man."

An angel looking down sadly over Berlin, in Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire."

-----------------------------

Zero Mostel throwing a cup of cold coffee at the hysterical Gene Wilder in Mel Brooks' "The Producers," and Wilder screaming: "I'm still hysterical! Plus, now I'm wet!"

"Smoking." Robert Mitchum's response, holding up his cigarette, when Kirk Douglas offers him a smoke in "Out of the Past."

Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg wading in the fountain in "La Dolce Vita."

The moment in Akira Kurosawa's "High and Low" when a millionaire discovers that it was not his son who was kidnapped, but his chauffeur's son - and then the eyes of the two fathers meet.

The distant sight of people appearing over the horizon at the end of "Schindler's List."

R2D2 and C3PO in "Star Wars."

E.T. and friend riding their bicycle across the face of the moon.

Marlon Brando's screaming "Stella!" in "A Streetcar Named Desire."

Hannibal Lecter smiling at Clarise in "The Silence of the Lambs."

"Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothin' yet!" The first words heard in the first talkie, "The Jazz Singer," said by Al Jolson.

"Nobody's perfect": Joe E. Brown's last line in "Some Like It Hot," explaining to Tony Curtis why he plans to marry Jack Lemmon even though he is a man.

"Rosebud."

----------------------------------------------

"What have you done to its eyes?" Dialogue by Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's Baby."

Moses parting the Red Sea in "The Ten Commandments."

An old man found dead in a child's swing, his mission completed, at the end of Kurosawa's "Ikiru."

The haunted eyes of the actress Maria Falconetti in Dreyer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc."

The baby carriage bouncing down the steps in Eisenstein's "Battleship Potemkin."

"Are you lookin' at me?" Robert De Niro in "Taxi Driver."

The mysterious body in the photographs in Antonioni's "Blow-Up."

Eva Marie Saint clinging to Cary Grant's hand on Mt. Rushmore in "North by Northwest."

Astaire and Rogers dancing.

"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico to Groucho in "A Night at the Opera."

"They call me Mr. Tibbs." Sidney Poitier in Norman Jewison's "In the Heat of the Night."

The vast expanse of desert, and then tiny figures appearing, in "Lawrence of Arabia."

Jack Nicholson on the back of the motorcycle, wearing a football helmet, in "Easy Rider."

The geometrical choreography of the Busby Berkeley girls.

The peacock spreading its tail feathers in the snow, in Fellini's "Amarcord."

----------------------------------------------
Robert Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter," with "LOVE" tattooed on the knuckles of one hand, and "HATE" on the other.
Joan Baez singing "Joe Hill" in "Woodstock."

Robert De Niro's transformation from sleek boxer to paunchy nightclub owner in "Raging Bull."

Bette Davis: "Fasten your seat belts; it's gonna be a bumpy night!" in "All About Eve."

"That spider is as big as a Buick!" Woody Allen in "Annie Hall."

The chariot race in "Ben-Hur."

The game of Russian roulette in "The Deer Hunter."

Chase scenes: "The French Connection," "Bullitt," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Diva."

The shadow of the bottle hidden in the light fixture, in "The Lost Weekend."

"I coulda been a contender." Brando in "On the Waterfront."

George C. Scott's speech about the enemy in "Patton:" "We're going to go through him like crap through a goose."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Rocky Balboa running up the steps and pumping his hand into the air, with all of Philadelphia at his feet.

The dinner guests who find they somehow cannot leave, in Bunuel's "The Exterminating Angel."

knight plays chess with Death, in Bergman's "The Seventh Seal."

The savage zeal of the Klansmen in Griffith's "The Birth of a Nation."

"I'm still big! It's the pictures that got small!" Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard."

"We're a long way from Kansas!" Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz."

An overhead shot beginning with an entrance hall, and ending with a closeup of a key in Ingrid Bergman's hand, in Hitchcock's "Notorious."

"There ain't much meat on her, but what's there is choice." Spencer Tracy about Katharine Hepburn in "Pat and Mike."

The day's outing of the mental patients in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

"I always look well when I'm near death." Greta Garbo to Robert Taylor in "Camille."

"It took more than one night to change my name to Shanghai Lily." Marlene Dietrich in "Shanghai Express."

--------------------------------------------------------------

"The next time you got nothin' to do, and lots of time to do it, come up and see me." Mae West in "My Little Chickadee."

"Top o' the world, Ma!" James Cagney in "White Heat."

Richard Burton exploding when Elizabeth Taylor reveals their "secret" in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

Gena Rowlands arrives at John Cassavetes' house with a taxicab full of adopted animals, in "Love Streams."

"I want to live again. I want to live again. I want to live again. Please God, let me live again." Jimmy Stewart to the angel in "It's a Wonderful Life."

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning," dialogue by Robert Duvall, in "Apocalypse Now."

"Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above." Katharine Hepburn to Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen."

"Mother of mercy. Is this the end of Rico?" Edward G. Robinson in "Little Caesar."

Re: Top Lines ?

Sticking to Susan Hayward "moments," Kerry, here are a couple more:

As rae (all small letters, very chic) in "Back Street," while she and Paul Saxon (John Gavin) are in the hotel elevator, sizing each other up yet trying to look uninterested.

Susan and Robert Mitchum in "The Lusty Men." She's changing her clothes to go after her husband (Arthur Kennedy) who left their trailer to go to a party she disaproves of. Mitchum tells her she's small with her shoes off, and she retorts that he's small with his on!

Sticking to Susan Hayward "moments," Kerry, here are a couple more:

As rae (all small letters, very chic) in "Back Street," while she and Paul Saxon (John Gavin) are in the hotel elevator, sizing each other up yet trying to look uninterested.

Susan and Robert Mitchum in "The Lusty Men." She's changing her clothes to go after her husband (Arthur Kennedy) who left their trailer to go to a party she disaproves of. Mitchum tells her she's small with her shoes off, and she retorts that he's small with his on!

Sorry, I inadvertently posted the same message twice. I didn't think it went through initially.

In 'The Conqueror'- when John has taken Susan riding and they return to see his camp in flames and Tartars everywhere. Susan with a smirk says to John " Your tents burn well Mongol".

====================================
The scene in 'Valley of the Dolls' when Patty Duke has flushed her wig in the ladies room and the attendant offers her a back exit from the room and Susan drapes the scarf around her hair and regally sweeps past saying " I'll go out the way I came in'

========================================

Shall we see if you can name the movies in which these
lines were spoken by Susan.

1. You'll remember my name. (late 40's)

2. Men! I'd like to fry 'em all,
in deep fat. (early 50's)

3. You'll never get her mother, NEVER! (60's)

4. Cat got your tongue Raphael? (60's)

5. I'm going to have a baby. (50's)

6. I love you, I love you, I love
you and I'll never let you go! (50's)

7. I'll never tell him Mary Jane,
NEVER! (late 40's)

TRISH

I'm going to try a few of them, Trish:

The first movie is "House of Strangers," when Susan first meets Richard Conte.

The second is Susan complaining to Robert Mitchum about her husband, Arthur Kennedy, in "The Lusty Men."

The last is "My Foolish Heart," as Susan insists to her friend that she'll never tell Dana Andrews, who has gone back to war, that she's having his baby.

I'm embarrassed to say I can't think of the others right now. Shame on me!

Hi Gloria,

All correct so far. Anyone else care to try
the others?

TRISH

Great minds think alike ? You nicely wrapped up the lines I sort of knew Gloria - well recalled.

-------------------

Trish - I will have a try but have to admit I am guessing here based on the era mentioned and the type of dialogue in question.

Sooooooooooo, two attempts.

3. ' Where Love Has Gone' speaking to Bette Davis about Joey Hetherton ??

6. ' Untamed' speaking to Ty Power in Africa ?

Kerry,

You hit the nails right on the head!

The other answers are the same :

4. Where Love Has Gone - speaking to Anthony Caruso
when Susan collects the blackmail letters.

5. Untamed - speaking to Richard Egan during the
windstorm.

TRISH

Ah thanks Trish - I managed the movies but not the co-star in question having the conversation.

I sould have nailed Richard Egan and the windstorm moment.

TWO...always come to mind, for me...
BACK STREET...Susan says to Paul.."You know,the funny thing about life, is all the old cleshaies (wrong spelling) are true. You can't break the rules..You can't live your own life..You can't ignore the world."

and..THE LUSTY MEN...
Susan says..."MEN..I'd like to fry them all in deep fat!"
(loved that line, as she is looking into a frying pan)

This CRACKS me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyhaXlKNts

PT/TB

Great minds think alike Tim ? Hopefully - lol. Yes that was one of the two screen moments I selected above. Quite a scene indeed....

Kerry

Her screen test for GWTW was the funniest ever...Southern Belle with a horrible Brooklyn accent...

PT/TB

Guess I didn't read the part where we are suppose to 'guess' which lines these are from...so let me see what I can remember...by numbers....

1. HOUSE OF STRANGERS
2. THE LUSTY MEN
3. WHERE LOVE HAS GONE
4. UNTAMED
5. WOMAN OBSESSED
6. (this one...really has me stumped..in 50's>)Could it be her talking to RAY DANTON..in I'LL CRY TOMORROW..?
7. MY FOOLISH HEART

Tim
Help! I can't access the YouTube you refer to-what
is it? Your mother's GWTW test is funny but what an
amazing Scarlett she would have made if she had done
that role several years later;as determined and re-
silent a person in real life as that character on the
screen. Although she lost her "regional accent," did
she ever revert to it in her everyday life or always
use her 'acquired' pronunciation?

Elaine,

The youtube video is the cat fight scene from "Valley of the Dolls"...

...and yes, after a few tumblers of Jack Daniels, that Brooklyn accent would manifest itself...

PT/TB

I loved the "rae" with the little letters thing. I first saw that movie when I was thirteen and I thought "rae" with little letters was so "chic" that I started spelling my name with a little "g"... still do...