​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 'PLUGGING'...SUSAN...AT LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL..>>>

I was moved by Errol's "Plugging Susan" story and your comments,Ginger, about today's generation not knowing about the great film and television stars of yesteryear, because I feel the same way. I taught my fifth grade students about many of our beloved stars by bringing in classic movies and showing them to the class.They were amazed at the talent and heartwarming stories of these films. Three of my favorites were "With A Song in My Heart","Lassie Come Home", and "The Fighting Sullivans". All on VHS of course.
Having been retired now for ten years I find myself educating my young niece and nephew on the careers of Susan Hayward and Lucille Ball among others.They both love Lucy and admire Susan for her great and powerful screen roles. I have some memorabilia that I bought them. I even visited the Lucy-Desi Museum with Trish a few years back.
Let's hope that through our love for these cherished and talented stars, we can foster a new interest and appreciation for them in our young people today. Thankfully their work is preserved on film and will be there for many more generations.

Joanne, I appreciate your post, and just to add to your thoughts, I am very happy that my daughter, Kelly, is studying film restoration and archiving at NYU - working on her master's (actually she is in Ghana, Africa right now working on film restoration and archiving there, but that is another story - a part of her quest for her degree)--anyway, I'm happy that she will share in a part of helping to restore these wonderful films, and I am so glad we have the technical ability to do that now, because so much would be lost. My daughter said once to me, wouldn't it have been amazing to have had this ability from early early history--it's remarkable and future generations will certainly benefit.

I'm so sorry...that I did not get to read the replies to my school 'outing' of classic films and Susan until just now. I had looked in on my post, shortly after it had been posted and..there seemed to be no replies. But I do thank ALL OF YOU for your responses back to me.

Ginger...I hope her being over in other countries can help continue to 'preserve the classic films'. And..NO the movies and 'actors' we have no are 'not' in the same class as 'the golden years of Hollywood'. Many actors (you note I do not say...'stars')of today, may only last for a span of one to two years..and they are never heard of again. 'They just don't have 'IT' and that...'IT'..went out with the 'studio system'. No matter how 'bad' it may have seemed, it still produced the 'best' of the STARS..and they should never be forgotten.

I am looking forward to the new school year and hopefully, to continue to educate the younger generations with some more classes on film from the golden age. It will also be in their 'new' high school, which should be super great!!