​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is YOUR...least-favorite...SUSAN...FILM...???

I do agree with you, Kerry...and 'yes' Susan had some comic moments..(I Married a Witch, The Forest Rangers) but these were scenes when 'she' was the bunt of the comic scene and not the comedian. And a big Yes on putting two dramatic actors in,what was suppose to be a comedy..(Marriage-go-Round). Again, I just don't find this a good comedy, even on stage.

None of this is to discredit our dear Susan, because we can also say..."yeah..but Madeline Kahn or Lucille Ball could 'never' be the 'dramatic actress' that Susan was"
and that is soo true. Susan was 'THE BEST' when it came to dramas and that took in a wide range of wonderful films.

So far...'the three of us'...have felt the same on this subject. Wish others would comment.

I must agree that Marriage-Go Round is also my least favourite film of the ones Susan made. Not at all funny and Susan looked older with her hair-style in this. The only decent scene for me was when James Mason swept her up and said something like - "I know you, you're from Brooklyn!"

James Mason was a strong leading man in Britain in the 1940's BUT no way as a partner for Susan on screen.

This is my least watched film in my collection on Susan.

TRISH

Thanks, Trish, for joining in on this..and once again, it comes around to.."Marriage-go-Round". Like you, I did not like Susan's hair style in this picture either. The whole film didn't remind me of the 'Susan' I had always loved..and I think Kerry hit it right, when he said that 'comedy' was not her strong point..and 'this film'...was about as 'funny' as a 'newscast' on tv.

I have always loved James Mason too...(look at A STAR IS BORN, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, PRISONER OF ZENDA, FIVE FINGERS, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH to name just a few..but again, none of them...comedies.

BOTH STARS got a 'bad deal' in doing this film.

While I was happy that Susan continued to make films
in the 60's,I really did not like any of the movies she appeared in( with the possible exception of STOLEN HOURS). None of those films were worthy of her talents after she received her Oscar. Once her contractual obligations were fulfilled,if she made the choices she did for money/and or the travel
involved,I think she made a mistake. I love Susan
yet I feel that if she had quit while she was ahead(so to speak),her legacy would have been better served. Sorry guys to be so negative-just my opinion.
To me,Susan will always be the best!!

I don't consider 'anything' we say on this subject, is meant to be negative toward Susan. Like I said, when first starting this topic...'no star has a career where some bad films did not come their way'. That may be for many reasons, but...tell me 'one star'..who ever had a career of 'every film being brilliant'. It just don't happen!

I also think, as you do, that the '60's was when she made some 'not so great' films..but have to mention ONE that was in that era, that was great and will always be in 'the top favorites' of mine. That would be BACK STREET. I thought Susan's performance/and the film period...was much better than any of the previous versions of that story.

Susan showed compassion and love in this love story that did not come out (for me) in any of the other versions..and 'that' is what I was wanting to say to Susan, when I met her..and told her I was sorry for the 'bad reviews' she had received on that film. It came out of my mouth..'wrong'...and I truly loved her in that film.

You are right (in my opinion) that once she was not under contract, some mistakes were made, where the great films, before the 60's did not show through as well. "Woman Obsessed" is another one in that era that did not show Susan as the strong talent that she always was.

WE ALL LOVE HER...and this is just to say what movie/movies you thought did not give Susan her the best opportunity to show how talented she always was.