​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A....SUSAN HAYWARD TRIBUTE FESTIVAL...???

Errol,
The films you mention are scheduled for TCM on January 15th from 7:00 AM
to 8:00 PM. A similar format was done one day in January two years ago.
Additionally, the film "Demetrius And The Gladiators" will be shown on
the 10th of the month as one of Robert Osborne's picks. So far TCM has
not chosen to honor Susan on her birthday in a similar way. I recently
read that there is not a bigger star of the 1950's who is as little
remembered as Susan Hayward (referred to as The Forgotten Star). Sadly,
I don't think she will ever be a Star Of The Month. Errol,if you can
subscribe to NOW PLAYING mag published by TCM (12.00 a year for 12 months).
It will tell you what's playing every month. You can order by calling
1-888-982-6746.

Thanks, Elaine..for clearing this up. I have not heard back from my friend and do not subscribe to tv guide nor TCM movie magazine, because frankly, I have no use for it, since I can't afford to have TCM on my channels any longer. With the eye surgery and other health problems, I have had to cut back, for fear of not having money when these operations keep coming up on me. I guess his tv guide must have been for 'next month' and I should have realized that, since we are almost through with this month. The last time I had a tv guide they were done 'weekly' so I have no idea how they do their scheduling now.

I would love to have the TCM magazine, even if I don't get the channel, but I can also get the schedule off TCM online. I don't look at it any longer, because it makes me realize all the great films I am missing, not having that channel any longer. Once I get back on my feet (financially) I will get TCM again.

I am glad they are doing this small thing for Susan..but it upsets me greatly, to know she is known as 'the forgotten Star'..and I do believe that is true, because I know there were a lot who 'turned their backs' on her as they seemed to have done.

I know that Robert Osborne always praises Susan's work, when one of her films is shown and he seems to really like her as an actress. But..it is not up to Osborne on what they show, as a 'power of one'. There were well known critics who turned on Susan. I read some very 'nasty' articles from some of them and was shocked by their attitude toward her.

It will never make sense to me...since Susan was 'not' a publicity seeker star and was not in 'bad headlines' as a star. The biggest thing was at the time of their divorce and the Don "Red" Barry episode. But other than those two things...Susan was 'not' someone they could smear with bad publicity. She didn't play the 'Hollywood couch' set and her private life, she tried to make only 'HER private life'. So..where do they get this 'turning their backs on her'?

She made 20th Century Fox a lot of money, over the years and was considered one of the 'favorite film stars of the 50's', so none of this makes sense!
It is true...that Hollywood can 'make you or break you'..but she had already reached stardom and 'tops' in her field, so it was hard to 'take her fans away' in those years.

I suppose if she had lived the life of a wild, shady, husband-stealing, party girl star...she would have been 'more popular' by the critics and press, but even though she had her 'faults' (as we all do)..I'm glad Susan didn't have that kind of 'press' in her life.

FOX came....begging her for 'help'..when they needed a 'still strong star' to replace Judy Garland in "Valley of the Dolls"...(a star that had been ripped apart by Hollywood life-style and had used until she was 'all used up' then fired her from the film.) Susan did their 'film' and helped them out of a bad situation. BUT...yet FOX shuns her as one of their ALL TIME TOP MOVIE STARS!

I must admit, as I write this, I am getting more and more upset/angry as to how Susan has been mistreated by that studio. Then..when she went her own way and worked for MGM, UNIVERSAL and was out of FOX contract, the critics started to give her 'bad reviews' even though her films were great..and FANS kept on going to see her films. Susan's "BACK STREET" was a beautiful, tear jerker of a film with a great performance by Susan and all other co-stars, but they 'panned' the film. To this day, it is 'one film' that younger film watchers from the past can view..and see what a special actress she was. WHY? Because it was through UNIVERSAL and has not been held back from the public like the FOX films that are 'rare' to see anywhere..(except some that FOX MOVIE CHANNEL still hold and play)..but they don't put them out on dvd, etc. Not like they do their other big stars of the past, anyway, and that makes it so younger film lovers miss her as being the star that she was and still remains..IF..you are lucky enough to know/or follow her career.

I am going on and on..and could still..go on and on...because this upsets me so very much! And the fact..that it just...don't make sense!!...

Errol--hope you and everyone here--will enjoy a season of good cheer!

You know, Errol, I just read your heartfelt reaction to the way Susan, who offered so much to the movie industry--and always put her best into the movies she made--never truly got her due from this country.

A perfect case-in-point is that I had to reach the age of mulling over Social Security, before I became truly aware of her (first on Fox Channel and then, occasionally, on TCM--and finally, when I happened to find this board, using google!) It was only then that I was became so keenly aware of her unusual ability to put herself into each role--and the genuine fierce characters she so often played--unlike the simpering actresses of her day.

The irony of my first becoming a fan at my age, when she has been gone to us for so many years, has to be linked to the fact that not only were her films rarely shown--but there were few critics who recognized her ability--rather, preferring to 'smear' her for her choice to stand up for herself, work independently and prefer a life of privacy.

(Because she was NOT a publicity hound, Hollywood appeared to 'take what they could get'and spill the most they could extract from her divorce from Jess Barker--and that crazy 'non-event' with Red Barry.) I gues they were desperate to get more of 'the goods' on her. They may have admired her individuality and intriguing remoteness, which suggested 'Here's an unusual actess'--but, in reality, a woman like Susan, at that time, was NOT particularly liked or trusted, as she was NOT the typical female of those days.

That she may have been shy and excrutiatingly uncomfortable in that Hollywood environment--which might have helped build a growing remoteness in her, and, later, a haven for drink), would never occur to that Hollywood world--the studios, the critics, the publicists she had to 'please'. Having real concern for her as a 'person' was not, I am sure, part of the how the 'system' operated.

So! That may well be why I can reach my age and remember her only 'remotely'as an actress--and a good one! But, all that I can say to alleviate that anger towards those who trampled on her extraordinary talent and her determination to perform at her best level, is that, no matter how many years may pass, there WILL always be a next generation who discovers and appreciates her. No matter the time inbetween.

Incidentally, Errol, I just read a post you wrote during the last year, about strangers becoming friends. And how lovely it was when all the people who used to take a peek into this Message Board, would be inspired enough to join in with the group. It's obvious to assume that--if you manage to uncover a Board for Susan Hayward--you must have admired her talent at some point! And it would be nice if people with similar interests DID go from 'strangers to friends'. Anyway, it was a lovely message, Errol--and everything you said is very true!

I have enjoyed the thoughtful comments from everyone here--and it would be nice to see more from 'newbies', as well, to turn more 'strangers to friends'!

So--thanks for your posts, Errol! And cheers to Ginger's special board!!

Lynn

...that remoteness was in my Mom from the "get go". Her Father was an alcoholic, so was her Mother. It is probable that she was incest survivor. She married two alcoholics, both of whom came with cargo containers full of "issues".

From the Doctor's Opinion Big Book / AA :

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery."

She was offered the opportunity to experience that psychic change while filming "I'll Cry Tomorrow"...She wasn't ready...some people NEVER are

Tim

Hi, Tim,

I do appreciate your sharing this aspect of the reality of your mother's life--the genetics of both family sides (if one believes there is an 'addiction' gene in some of us...and I do)--her unhappy childhood--and her choice of the numbing remoteness and false 'bravado' that a alcoholic haze can bring.

I, too, grew up very closely with an alcoholic relative, and it was so painful. It affected everyone around her, but my sisters and I were very lucky to have non-drinking parents (except for the odd party drink). This, perhaps, made my own social drinking during my years living in England-- with the ubiquitous pub being the starting place for social gatherings--briefer than it might have been, as I soon became aware of the false and SHORT comfort a drink would bring to my basically shy personality.

What you quoted from the AA book about 'experiencing a psychic change' for real recovery was true for my relative--though she was 60, before she was willing to accept that change--a long time for loving, but frustrated relatives. She, too, finally approached AA--and though with difficulty--made it though and continues to do so.

It is extremely sad that your mother was never "ready". To her credit, though, her audiences and fans, saw nothing on the screen but a most unusually talented woman who loved her craft and always focused to improve it. And, how frustrating it is, when you admire such talent, that the only sources to learn more about that person is a few carelessly-written, mostly incorrect biographies. I'm sure you cringe at the 'amateur analyses' of her by those (like me!!) who read and come away with book loads of incorrect information. Thanks for setting us straight.

At any rate, we here are all extremely happy that when your own 'psychic change' came about--you were ready!

My best to you and your family for a wonderful New Year, filled with health, happiness and peace. (And trout! LOTS of trout!)

Happy New Year, Lynn

Tim..Thanks for putting things straight on all of this and the A/A quote, which I know so very well. We all have 'flaws' in our lives and if we didn't we wouldn't be here. It is part of life and how/when we handle it is part of what I have always called 'the tests in life'. It should be hard to judge 'others', even after we have taken it upon ourselves, to make changes we found we needed to change. I am so glad you wrote what you did on this....