​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SO Happy to have stumbled upon this site + best estate find EVER

I agree with both of you..that "I'LL CRY TOMORROW" was Susan's finest film and that she was 'cheated' out of the Oscar that year. In fact, for months before the awards, she was the front runner in all the news coming out of Hollywood. She took on a big challenge in doing her own singing and did it very well. Her work opposite Jo Van Fleet, was electrifying..and I found it odd that Van Fleet was nominated for supporting actress that year...(and won)...but not for this film. She won for "EAST OF EDEN", which was a much smaller role and..to me...not as good as the work she did opposite Susan in "TOMORROW"...I sometimes wonder if it was not for "Eden"..but for her 'body of work' that year. As Susan's mother, she was overwhelming in this, truly great dramatic film.

I also wanted to mention something on "BACK STREET"...that the Producers of that film are both ROSS HUNTER..and..CARROLLTON INC...which I always wondered 'if' Susan and Eaton were, maybe, the 'second part' of the producing of this film, since they were from Carrollton, Ga. (I just re-checked the spelling of this and it is Carrollton).

Each time I have watched this film, I have wondered if they were 'part-producers' of this film, but have had no way of finding out if that was true.

Susan's version of this film, is sooo much better than the earlier version starring IRENE DUNNE, (who all the critics hail as being such a great film). Not to me..and not just because it was Susan in the second version. The whole story was told so much better in the Susan version..and so was the acting..by one and all. Both Vera Miles and John Gavin were so much better in the Susan version.

To me..it is the same thing with Susan's "STOLEN HOURS"..vs..Bette Davis' "DARK VICTORY". The remake, with Susan, was a much better telling of the story and though it may have not had the 'big-cast' co-stars that "Victory" had, it was a more touching version and Susan played the woman, who was dying, as a 'person'...not just another "Bette Davis..playing Bette Davis" performance.

CRITICS...are still..only 'one person's opinion', when you get right down to it, so no matter what they might say, it is the 'movie going public' who go and pay the tickets and should always make up their own minds as to whether a film is good or bad..and in the long run, "BACK STREET" was really a big winner with the movie going public!! It made a lot of money for being a 'downer' by the critics.

I think the last time I counted..I have seen "BACK STREET" 22 times and never tire of seeing it. I saw "DARK VICTORY"...twice...

Re: SO Happy to have stumbled upon this site + best estate find EVER

Hi Jace...Since you are a devoted fan of Susan's...it sure would be nice if you joined us on these 'discussions'. I know, having Susan as your favorite actress, you could add to our conversations..and we would love to have your 'in-put'...

All My Best to You...Errol...