​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Susan and a question About Close Girlfriends

Trish...there was another talk show daytime host (a blonde woman and I can't think of her name now, because she didn't last too long) that did the same thing, trying to 'throw dirt' around that Susan was so bad to work with. This was one of many times, that Robert Wagner had come to her defense, on that show.
Wish I could remember her name!! But what would either of these 'talk show hosts' know about Susan or any other actor, unless they were actually involved int the shooting of a film? It used to drive me nuts, the way they could try to destroy certain actors careers with their 'unknown knowledge' of any of these things they were spewing on about!!....

Lynn
I think Susan and Stanwyck could have been friends if Susan had
not become ill; they had similar backgrounds,and were classy dames-
no nonsense ladies. They were a great pair of tough Brooklyn "broads"!

Errol, Hi!

Thanks a million for taking the time to fill in all the names I misssed! I did originally thnk of probing through each of my books on Susan, because I knew I missed a few friendships and acquaintances--like Thelma Ritter and Agnes Moorhead--both of who went clear out of my mind.

And cheers to Robert Wagner and John Gavin for getting the story straight on how Susan was so gracious and helpful when they worked with her. I always find too many of the general entertainment media press to prefer sleuthing down any personal 'dirt' on those who have become successful--rather than selling a few less 'rags' by celebrating those who have worked hard--and deservedly "made it"!

And at Susan H's time--heaven help the woman who stood up for her rights. Something in you must 'harden', when you are forever on the defense. I sometimes wonder how her life might have gone if she had been born 30 years later. The only thing I know for certain is that she would have been standing next to her son Tim, shivering away in freezing Montana rivers--and grinning as she matched him trout for trout!!

Thanks again, Errol, for that part of your brain that was obviously mapped out as "The Susan Section"!

LYNN

P.S. And, ELAINE, thanks too for your observation, sharing mine, that Barbara Stanwyck might have been a good friend--and laughing mate--for Susan had Susan not become so increasingly ill.

Yes....Lynn...the actress at that time had to be 'hard' in order to survive this business we call..'show'. One thing I always thought was a good example of standing up for yourself...was when Susan played Bette Davis' daughter in WHERE LOVE HAS GONE...and 'beat the socks off of Miss Davis'...by out-acting her and stealing every scene that the two had together. Of course you probably know the story of Bette taking off her 'wig' and throwing it at Susan on the last day of shooting and saying..."THANKS FOR..NOTHING!".

Susan had already 'out-acted' her in the remake of Bette's DARK VICTORY when Susan did STOLEN HOURS...so I think this was a 'double-whammey' from Susan to Bette for the things that were said, many years eariler by one critic that claimed Susan Hayward was a Bargain Basement Bette Davis.

Susan...showed the critic and 'the Bette'...that was NO WAY...correct!!...