​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NEVER FORGOTTEN...ALWAYS WILL BE MISSED..

Thank you Alice...for your kind words. I hope that, in some ways, I have helped in my times on the stage..for others. I do know that it is a very funny/strange thing..with actors. They usually like the 'exact opposite' of what they like to watch...and are driven toward that 'opposite' when acting.

Let me explain: I love to do musical comedy and love to make people laugh. But when it comes to watching...(either on stage or film, tv)...I ALWAYS lean to the dramatic..or other than comedy...things that I enjoy watching. I am not the only one who is this way. In fact, over the years...most of the comedic actors I have worked with and been around, all say the same thing. They prefer the 'complete opposite' to what they enjoy doing. Some may like westerns or cop shows or si-fi as their 'favorite'..and of course...the drama area. BUT..when it comes to performing, they are most comfortable...doing musicals and comedies.

Life is strange....isn't it....???....

Errol
Thank you Alice...for your kind words. I hope that, in some ways, I have helped in my times on the stage..for others. I do know that it is a very funny/strange thing..with actors. They usually like the 'exact opposite' of what they like to watch...and are driven toward that 'opposite' when acting.

Let me explain: I love to do musical comedy and love to make people laugh. But when it comes to watching...(either on stage or film, tv)...I ALWAYS lean to the dramatic..or other than comedy...things that I enjoy watching. I am not the only one who is this way. In fact, over the years...most of the comedic actors I have worked with and been around, all say the same thing. They prefer the 'complete opposite' to what they enjoy doing. Some may like westerns or cop shows or si-fi as their 'favorite'..and of course...the drama area. BUT..when it comes to performing, they are most comfortable...doing musicals and comedies.

Life is strange....isn't it....???....

Yes, indeed! Life is, for sure, strange! : And, Errol, what you say is so absolutely TRUE! My acting colleagues and I, for the most part, have played roles/been in shows diametrically opposed to the type of works we tend to prefer watching. I've done primarily comedies (I adored doing Neil Simon stuff - 'Corrie' in 'Barefoot in the Park'; and 'Bobbi Michelle' in 'Lovers and Other Strangers" - or Leonard Gershe's 'Jill' in 'Butterflies Are Free'), but my personal taste in film is always toward the psychological - where the character is complex and makes me "think." This can go anywhere from real-life drama, to suspense, to films that tend to be a little 'dark or edgy.' I also like dark comedies, spoofs and satires. My friends always laugh since I look so "wholesome" - but, like you say, "Life is strange!"

(I'm sure that is why I'm drawn to Susan and her films. Her characters (and the brilliant way she plays them) are complex and take you to the edge. Even in her comedies, her humor is always razor sharp and edgy.)

P.S. Errol, I envy you so much being able to do musicals. The old, classic Broadway musical comedies, contrary to my 'darker side," still remain my favorite genre of music! (I got a 'taste' of the joy during my teens in community stuff when I did 'Louise' in Carousel and 'Kim' in 'Bye Bye Birdie." Alas, my musical talents fell short of the "Great White Way."

P.P.S. Oh how I envy you seeing Susan in 'Mame!' She's won all my respect for the incredible body of work she gifted us with over the years, but special kudos go to her for taking on the indomitable Auntie Mame - and wowing the audience! "BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!"

Lovely tribute, Errol...