​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I MUST 'EAT MY WORDS'...ON ROBERT MITCHUM BOOK....

I think that you could be correct in thinking this...Mitchum was not 'shy' about saying how he felt about an 'actor's life'. He did not feel it a 'manly' way to make a living.

And...on his 'take' on women co-stars...I was quite surprised how he didn't think much of Jane Russell, who he did more movies with than any other actress. But..these were his own words on interviews. I know he did not like Loretta Young and thought she and Greer Garson were so 'into themselves'...and he hated that.

In fact...on these interviews he DID mention some of these actresses with 'disgust'..but he never mentioned Susan at all in his bad remarks. He just didn't mention her..PERIOD! Which goes to show there was no love lost!

He didn't see much in Jean Simmons, thought Marilyn Monroe was a very 'troubled' person, but 'strong' when she refused to leave the raft they were on in RIVER OF NO RETURN until he left it. THE RAFT BROKE LOOSE AND WAS ALREADY INTO HEAVY RAPIDS BEFORE THEY WERE SAVED.) He made fun of Victor Mature..said he would never do a 'stunt'. That the most he ever did was walk off the sidewalk onto the curb of a street.)

THE ONLY FEMALE CO-STAR HE MENTIONS with liking was FAITH DOMERIGUE, He said that director JOHN FARROW (Mia's father and Maureen O'Sulliavan's daughter) treated Faith like 'dirt' and he almost came to blows with him over how she was being treated.

Mitchum and Hayward truly 'did' have a different way of looking at movie making and YES...Susan always did it with honesty and seemed to love her craft, while Mitchum would take smaller roles with less lines and money and 'always' wanted to know 'how many days' it would take to do a picture. If it was more time than he wanted to 'waste' on making a film...he would refuse the role. Mitchum was originally 'wanted' for the role Clark Gable played in THE MISFITS. Oh...there were...many..roles that he turned down..and admits he wss a 'lazy actor'. He said his most happy days in making films was in the beginning...when he did 19 films in one year. He liked doing the 'short' B-Hoppalong Cassidy westerns. THAT..was his favorite times and after that..it was 'boring' and he said he 'gave the same performance over and over' in the films people liked so well.

OH...he did like working with one female star other than Faith. He LOVED working with DEBORAH KERR and holds her in the 'highest regards' as an actress. woman..and human being.

I always liked Deborah Kerr too...but it seemed like Susan and Deborah were always nominated...the same years...for Best Actress...so Susan 'always' would win out, in that case....