​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "WHERE LOVE HAS GONE"..FOR BIRTHDAY NIGHT..

By the way....the guy GRACE ROBBINS was 'dating' that was involved in the O.J. SIMPSON murders was...KATO KALAN...I finally remembered his..name!!...

Re: "WHERE LOVE HAS GONE"..FOR BIRTHDAY NIGHT..

Elaine...I totally agree with you on this issue, because 'the choices' were not as good as when she was under contract. BUT..also when she was 'not under contract' you have to remember that was when she also did some of her best roles, (before the 60's)...NEITHER I'LL CRY TOMORROW or I WANT TO LIVE! was when she was under contract to 20th Century Fox. 'TOMORROW'..was MGM and I WANT TO LIVE! was UNITED ARTISTS/FIGRIO.

Ito would have to come from someone who knows more than just what has been reported..on 'why' she chose the roles she did in the '60's..but 'what has been reported' (in more than one place)...is that it had a lot to do with her husband, Eaton Chalkley. HE seemed to only wanting her to do films that took 'THEM' on locations...like Ireland for I THANK A FOOL...England for STOLEN HOURS,
Canada for WOMAN OBSESSED.

Only BACK STREET and THE MARRIAGE-GO-ROUND, WHERE LOVE HAS GONE seem to have been made at the studios here...and it was reported that Susan did 'not' go to Hong Kong while doing SOLDIER OF FORTUNE and her scenes were done at the studio with 'backgrounds' that were shot in Hong Kong and brought back here.

Of course she 'replaced' JUDY GARLAND in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS...and that would have been filmed at the studio..(back at Fox)..but if 'any' Susan film should be called..'trash'...I would think it would be this one. WHERE LOVE HAS GONE is not a 'favorite' of mine, but I would not call it 'trash'. It had two great movie actresses opposite one another...and was based on LANA TURNER's 'trash life'..(and if you don't think that is correct...just read the book..'LANA" which I am now reading..with..OMG..EXPRESSIONS...after each page I have read!
Yes..it was a 'take-off' on Lana's/Cheryl's murder set-up from Harold Robbins book, but it is also based on the 'facts' in Lana's life! THIS FILM was from PARAMOUNT. Someone was going to be playing this 'hot topic' role and I think Susan did it justice!

It is very true..that the films 'after' winning the Oscar went 'down hill' but maybe it was NOT SUSAN'S CHOOSING...rather...someone 'taking control of her life' in more ways than..one! Personally, I happen to not have a lot of 'love' for Mr. Chalkley...and feel we would have seen much better films, if it were not for him. But this was HER LIFE and her love..so this is only for a fan to say!

I am happy we have all the 'great' films that she made...before the '60's..but there were still some good films then too. LOVE.."BACK STREET" no matter what anyone says..that is a darn good film..period...