​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Meeting" Ms. Hayward

Savannah,

Welcome to the message board! I really love it when young people discover Susan Hayward. That's what it's all about..to remember, to acknowledge, to pay tribute, to show appreciation, and to introduce Susan Hayward to the younger generation and to inspire them as she has inspired us and made our lives better.

Thank you for your post, and it looks like she reached out and grabbed your heart just like she did the rest of us!

There are a few nice facebook pages on Susan. I just created one last week. If you search "Susan Hayward, Classic Film Star," you will find it, and then "like"....You'll discover more and more new things every day about the life and career of Susan Hayward.

Thank you again for sharing.....Ginger

Savannah, thank you for the Susan Hayward, Classic Film Star "like" on FB.

I just stumbled across your site, but have some interesting memories to share. I grew up in Carrollton, GA. It was not uncommon to see Ms. Hayward driving around town in a pick up truck with her hair tied up in a scarf or at a local grocery store. Mr. Chalkley owned the Cadillac car dealership in Carrollton. They were honored with a parade and awarded the key to the city. One of the most interesting things I remember is that the Chalkley's built a new Catholic Church building closer to their farm. The old church was a white frame building which was donated and then moved to what was then West Georgia College, now the University of West Georgia. It was dedicated as the John F. Kennedy Memorial Chapel. Robert Kennedy came to Carrollton to break ground for the chapel. My Mom got me out of school that day to go to the ceremony. I got to meet Bobby Kennedy as a result. The chapel is still on campus. Carrollton is rich with Southern history and scenic landscape. If you visit Atlanta, it is worth a day trip. It is located about 45 miles west of Atlanta. Thanks for a forum to share the memories.

Hello and Welcome, Karen!

I am so sorry I missed your post---and missed welcoming you to the Board.

I thoroughly enjoyed your story and am delighted to read that Carrollton has all that history--and charm. I'd never heard of it--but we New Yorkers score low on geography! I do love reading maps, though---and somehow just never came across Carrollton! My loss!! As soon as I finish this letter, I shall go straight to my book shelves and find Carollton on my book of maps!!

I have been on this Board only since last autumn, and am still amazed that I found it! A place where all of Susan Haywood's many admirerers can come together and share all sorts of stories!

It is so strange to imagine you living in the same town---and having the opportunity to see Susan as 'just a good citizen'! I'm so glad she was happy there. Did you ever have the chance to meet her individually? It seems she was a very good neighbor.

And how exciting to meet Robert Kennedy! Years ago, I did some simple volunteer work during his brother's campaign! Bobby's great passion for mountains and climbing always fascinated me, as I collect mostly Himalayan and Alaskan expedition books, and I believe it was the well-known climbers, the Whitaker twins, who befriended him and took him up a mountain, they named after him!

Do you still live anywhere near Carrollton? We have one member on the Board (and no doubt more), who have made the trip to see where Susan and her husband were buried and to walk around the town.

I was so surprised to locate Ginger's (our Moderater) Board on Susan, as I never suspected that others who admired her from so many years ago would come together and honor her like this. Susan was surely underrated in the movie world, when she truly was one of the finest, most natural, most involved and most gifted in all the roles she played.

We hope you will stay in touch with us, and join in whenever you wish. There are some real 'Susan' appreciators on this Board, who have collected massive amounts of information on--and photos of--her, and I know they would be happy to answer your questions.

Also, there are many links connected with this Board, which Ginger and others can refer you to. (Ginger wrote a truly beautiful piano solo called "Susan's Song"--that, alone, is worth linking up with her other Board.) And there is SO much to read about this complex, fascinating actress. The more I have read about her, the more I have tended to contemplate this enigmatic actress, who has captured me with all her multi-facited acting talent, so evident in some of the most difficult roles she has ever played!

So nice to meet you, Karen. Please do 'stay aboard'!

Lynn

PS Just for your information, one of Susan's twin's, Tim Barker, follows this Board sometimes, so if you see his name---that is who he is--Susan's son. He also has a most intriguing website called "Planet Trout", emphasizing both his beautiful family--and 'rabid' ( ) love of trout!

I do not live in Carrollton now, but hope to move back soon. My parents and family are there so I go back as often as possible to visit.

Karen!

Lucky you!! I spent about half an hour yesterday looking through maps that showed Carrollton and vicinity. It looks so lovely and scenic, and I'll bet that Susan H. would be shocked to see how much larger it must be now than when she lived there! But I'm sure it's just as beautiful.

I suppose you all knew that her film "I'd Climb the Highest Mountain" was filmed in that area. Do you know exactly where they shot it?
(I'm a tireless map reader!! It brings a place alive to me!)

Lynn

Lynn

You are so right about the changes in Carrollton! Atlanta is going to spread to the Alabama line I think.

As for filming I don't remember anything, but I was very young. Carrollton is rolling hills but no mountains. They may have used north Georgia as a location. We southerners considered those as mountains, then I moved to WV and saw REAL mountains.

In reading the posts about the twins, I remembered that one of them was friends with Gardner New who was the older brother of my sister's friend. I believe Gardner has passed away.

It's funny how memories come in snapshots.