​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Hairy Ape

Hi, Bill

Sorry that you've not been feeling at your best, though a Susan Hayward film always works better than any over-the-counter analgesic I've tried! LOL!

But I found it interesting that you mentioned "The Hairy Ape", which I've had only one opportunity to watch on TV--and was really surprised how well Susan managed to play a role that could so easily have moved into the realms of over-acting, making it more a farce than a well thought-out film. (Though I think actresses like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford have given some 'eye-opening' performances during their careers---I can''t see them giving this particular part the nuance it needed!)

And I agree that William Bendix played HIS role at just the right balance. I thought he, too, was wonderful.

When you think of how early in her career Susan gave such depth to her role---not an easy one to keep from 'over-dramatizing'--she already had the tracings of an unusually natural and intuitive actress!

Hope you're feeling better, Bill--and remember that 'A spoonful of Susan helps the medicine go down'!! :-)

Take care,

Lynn

Re: The Hairy Ape

Hi Bill,

Hope you are feeling better, and glad you are here on the board with us.

I haven't seen "The Hairy Ape" in quite a while, but Susan is great in it...you love to hate her...same as Hester in "Adam Had Four Sons"...she's the best bad girl ever!