​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Susan\\\'s near sightedness!

I know that contacts were very hard to wear back then. If she had an astigmatism they were hard to fit. I tried to wear hard and gas perms but they were terribly hard to wear. I could wear soft lenses, but as I said they don't correct an astigmatism very well.
Maybe Tim knows. Thank you for your reply! Jody

Re: Susan\\\'s near sightedness!

I just read Beverly Linet's book about Susan. Basically it seems that Susan had had corrective lenses put in all her sunglasses. It doesn't say anything about whether she wore regular glasses when she wasn't acting or wasn't in the public eye. I guess Tim would know about that. Love to all, Jody

Re: Susan\\\\\\\'s near sightedness!

I have a couple of pictures of Susan in glasses - she looked beautiful as ever.
I also have had prescription sunglasses for many years.

Regarding contact lenses, I have an astigmatism and I personally wore them for 40 odd years. I had them fitted in 1959 when I was living in Montana and they were so very much cheaper than the ones available in the U.K. They were the small, micro lense type and fortunately, I never had any problem wearing them at all - just took them out to sleep. The only drawback I found was when I was out in the wind and occasionally a little dust would blow in my eye and find its way under the contact. This necessitated removal immediately as it was very painful and many a time I was in a shop doorway, getting out the lense, putting it in my mouth to clean it off and putting it back in!! (I always had to clean off the smears when I got home!) Fortunately, I never dropped one outside. So many people tried to wear them and couldn't so I guess I was just lucky.