​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board: To reach If You Knew Susie by Trish Sharp, click the profile photo at www.facebook.com/susanhaywardclassicfilmstar and you will see the link.

Ginger's Susan Hayward Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Co-Stars of Susan\'s I Didn\'t Like

Wow! This wonderful post (even if it was written by Gloria 3 years ago!), is the most informative \'wrap-up for me of \'Susan and her Men\'!!

Having not seen anywhere the number of her films that all of you have, my own more simplistic conclusions on a few of those I did see have been:

1. I loved \"Rawhide\" but thought of Tyrone Powell, who I very much like, as her younger brother!! Susan ran rings around him, so matter how good an actor he was.

2. I found Lee Bowman just insipid in \"Smash-Up\"! She should have been with Eddie Albert!!

3. Don\'t remember which bio about Susan it was, but I remember reading that Charlton Heston in \"The President\'s Lady\" was so grateful to Susan for showing a \'newbie\' like him all she could to help him give an inspiring performance. So, she obviously took to him as a friend, if nothing else.

4. I loved \"Garden of Evil\" (that haunting scenery and those thrilling horseback riding scenes plus Susan looked lovely), but, quite honestly, I felt as if, in most scenes, that she was just punching out the lines,sounding perpetually disgruntled! (Which she no doubt was, with the custody of her children on the line, while she made this film.)

5. Re. Robert Mitchum, (Another of my favorites.) I do remember reading a funny story (if it is true!) that during the making of \"White Witch Doctor\". Susan was so deliberately \'unaware\' of him, that he used to hum \"The Old Grey Mare.....\", when she walked by. Don\'t know why, but I found this very amusing. (I\'ve yet to see \"The Lusty Men\", but look forward to it!)

6. As for John Wayne---it was easy to see that she was always happy to be appearing with him!! Particularly, as it was said, that he was her ideal of what a man should be!! Read another amusing story--this one about \"The Conquerer\", that, at times, the dialogue was so atrocious, they were both laughing too hard to complete a \'take\'!

Well, that\'s about all I feel able to contribute to this conversation with such a wonderfully informed group, who have just given me a terrific education in what I have to look forward to!!

My own conclusion, however, about ANY actor playing opposite Susan is that she was gifted with such a powerful ability to practically hold a film all on her own, that she gave any romantic interest a run for his money!

Susan Hayward offered a most wonderous gift to both the film world--and to those lucky enough to have been part of her life.

Lynn

PS Gloria - If you happen to see this older post of yours\', I do hope you\'ll return to the Board to say \"Hello\".