Return to Website

Toronto Mobility
disabled/caregiver's forum

Welcome to our forum.
Feel free to post a message if you are disabled, or a friend or caregiver or family of a disabled person.
If you have encountered a problem, and/or just need to vent, be our guest.
If you would like to tell us your story, we have a blog you can join at "Disabled in Ontario Blog".

*PLEASE NOTE* - This is a forum, not a place for free advertising. DO NOT post ads for affiliate programs or commercial/business websites or even your website if you sell anything. If found, IP #'s will be taken and hosting servers as well as ISP's will be sent a letter of complaint.

Toronto Mobility
disabled/caregiver's forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Streets and mobility issues......

Hi.... I went by two of those streets today and they were horrid. Almost tipped my scooter a couple of times. I wasn't too amused. On the way out I took Wellesley (north side of the street) from Bleecker to Sherbourne and almost tipped. There were huge blocks of ice, inches deep in places with big holes on either side of them. Then I went down Sherbourne on the west side of the street and again, almost tipped over due to poorly or non cleared sidewalk. Lots of ice chunks there too and very small pathways, more or less wide enough where people have beaten the path while walking in the same place one after another. This continued until past the first pedestrian crosswalk. It's outrageous that the streets are still like this at this point. They aren't cleaned at all. On the way back to prevent the possiblilty of toppling over my scooter I went very slowly until I got to the crosswalk (which is a point and cross crosswalk) and played dodge the traffic there because cars seem to ignore those kinds of pedestrian crosswalks since there are no lights, and then I had to go down the south side of Wellesley St. instead of tackling the north side again with all it's ice chunks and holes, and cross across Wellesley south to north at the corner of Bleecker at 4:30 pm, pretty much in rushhour traffice. Oh joy, oh joy. This city needs to get it together when it comes to clearing sidewalks and ramps!