Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Surmounting doubts in spiritual life

I thought it might be interesting to consider what "one word" might have referred to. My lexicon Bible program is not working at present. It shows the original words of the Bible as they appear in the translated sentence. Instead I have found some familiar verses.

Be still, and know that I am God (Psalms 46:10a)

. . . commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. (Psalms 4:4c)

Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah. (Psalms 84:4)

Re: Re: Re: Surmounting doubts in spiritual life

Jayanti, my quote is of St. John of the Cross from his "Dark Night of the Soul." I guess he is perhaps referring to " In the beginning was the word(?)....and that word was God" Does that make sense?

Re: Surmounting doubts in spiritual life

Brother Paritosh,
I must agree with all that Brother Vriju has said.
I especially collaborate with the idea of silence being the key, but is this an outer silence or an inner silence?
What I am doing by degrees is learning to rely on the word of the Mother/Guru. I know that the words she has said are true (at about the level of my brain), but are they REALLY true? If they are then we have absolutely nothing to worry about except to develop courage, forebearance and patience with ourselves. And by degrees to discover that deep, deep inner place where we know who we are without second.

Re: Re: Surmounting doubts in spiritual life

Sister Rosemary,
It is the inner silence.

Are the words REALLY true? One must test them in one's life and see for oneself.

Yes, we must keep on purifying our heart with courage, forbearance, and patience.