Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Day 6

"Before commencing your daily meditation, first think of your utter helplessmenss and then slowly begin to meditate as directed by your guru."

from "Holy Mother" p. 222

When my children were very young, we attended an outdoor party. I was feeling very in control as my children respected me and were obedient. I was happy with myself. Suddenly I heard a small voice say, "Mom, look at me." I looked up and saw my small son in the top of a very, very tall tree. He was so small and my hear dropped to my feet. I was utterly helpless. I was humbled and out of control. I could not bark an order for him to come down, it was up to him. The only thing I could do was look him in the eyes from far away, and in my very humblest and sincere voice ask him to carefully come down, which he did. I learned humility and surrender that day.

Re: Day 6

This is a wonderful-yet-harrowing true life experience. We are thankful that your son was able to come down safely.

Yet, how true it is that we realize spiritual insights and strength in moments of helplessness. When all is going well, we think we are "in control."