Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life beyond the Shrine

Life beyond the shrine has its effect in our spiritual life and spiritual growth. Often there are secular changes around us which affect the world and us personally. they are not spiritual matters they may interfere with our faith of what is right and should have happened and what is wrong. It is never easy but each challenge has to be faced like Arjuna faced the war in the Mahabharata.

At times such as these try to remember that the Mother faced so many difficulties in Her everyday living yet She did not give up the ideal. Mother is our pole star and has always given us an example by Her living the life and not empty words. Try to meditate on the difficulties that She faced all around Her. I know it is not easy but the we are all Mother’s kids. There is no need to fear. She is with us holding and protecting us every step of the way.

Have faith and be strong.

Re: Life beyond the Shrine

Thank you, Paritosh. I know that you are thinking of me.

Yes, last night I felt saddened by outcome of the election in the United States. Yet today I am renewed.

I think I disagree that "secular changes around us ... are not spiritual matters."

Rather, it is because we think this way, forgetting that all of life is spiritual, that "they may interfere with our faith in what is right and what should have happened."

If I am a spiritual person then, like Arjuna, I am called as an American to do what appears needful in my role as a citizen ... while leaving the outcome to Mother.

But if I view my life and responsibilities as secular, somehow outside the realm of spiritual matter and undeserving of spiritual consideration or devoid of spiritual merit, then this "division" creates the conflict you speak about. For when we remove an event from the spiritual realm, it is at this time that we begin to apply "secular" values and judgements and encounter disappointment.

Mother shows us that all activity is spiritual, even the seemingly mundane. Likewise Krishna and Arjuna show us the spiritual meaning of doing our duties as they come before us.

Mother also shows us that it is all right to feel compassion and be saddened by certain outcomes. The key is not to be rendered helpless by these.

Paritosh,
I thank you for the beautiful reminder of Mother's role of protection in our lives. I have felt it in the last few weeks.
Sorry, Jayanti, but I do not understand your posting. Why are you sad? I was not sad, I feel releived. Is there something I am not aware of?

Re: Re: Life beyond the Shrine

Jayanti:
I stand corrected and I agree that the secular and the shrine need to be integrated and become one rather than keep the boundary.

I think the most important statement is the last one regarding not being helpless or the victim but doing what we are to do.

May Mother bless us always and give us the strenght to do what is right irrespective of the outcome.

Re: Re: Re: Life beyond the Shrine

How beautifully you have captured the essence of my post, Paritosh.

When we spiritualize our life, we become acters in the Divine Play.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Life beyond the Shrine

jayanti,
please answer my question. perhaps paritosh knows but i do not what this problem is. why are you only speaking to him?

Dear Rosemary,

forgive me. I had hoped that the spiritual nature of this discussion would somehow over-shadow your question, both because it is the essential lesson we all seek to learn and because ... I was not certain how to post an answer for you here in the Courtyard. I was considering writing a private email. If we wish to continue this discussion, perhaps private email is best.

For now, let me just affirm that my comment regarding my initial feeling about the election reflect my own personal spiritual journey and coming to understand in a profound way the connection between responsibility and detachment.

I may regret, now, having mentioned the election specifically, yet it is my involvement ... as an individual ... in the election that brought this home to me.

thank you. i was beginning to think that my posts were invisible and i know you don't mean to be unkind.
perhaps i do not know you well enough to know what you are involved in or how it affects you. i am sorry for your disappointment. i was very emotional about this election because my son is in Afghanistan. i really don't know what to say. we may differ about this, but we are both Mother's children. but thank you for replying. i feel better.

Dear Rosemary,

It is a difficult time for so many of us. I understand now that you feel this in a very direct way. It is little wonder that you are feeling emotional.

The Mother would be seen to worry about the welfare of her children, especially if they were at risk of harm, while behind this worry was her knowledge that all is happening within the scope of the Divine.

We are each trying, step by step, to reach that place where compassion and awareness meet. It is not a straight path. But as you have often shared with us here in Mother's Courtyard , the lessons often come in unexpected ways.

know that Mother's loving grace surrounds your son, and all who have been called to serve in these difficult times.

And know that She is ever with you, helping you, guiding you, and giving you strength.

thank you so very much

My heart goes out to you Rosemary regarding your son. May Mother give you the strenght and know for certain She is with him in Afganistan.

We all are struggling in our own world with accepting the world as it is, finding a balance and yet becoming spiritual in a search for the truth. Mother in Her Grace provides this courtyard that we can gather together, unburden our load at Her feet, gather strenght and continue in our own world.

I often like to remind myself that what I have gained from the courtyard has not come from anyone other than the Mother Herself. Know She is ever present here.

Re: Re: Re: Life beyond the Shrine

Thank you again,I am so glad we are together here.
My acknowledgement also to our Holy and Divine Mother who sustains us in our lives.