Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HAPPY BIRTDHAY SWEET MOTHER

Sois autant aimée que tu aimes.

HAPPY BIRTDHAY SWEET MOTHER LOVE

Re: HAPPY BIRTDHAY SWEET MOTHER

Yes, Mother. Our love is sent to you on this blessed day, and Always!

Sri Sarada Devi was born in 1953 on December 22. Thus today may be considered Mother's birthday, according to the solar year.

However, it is the custom to base Mother's birthday, as well as that of Sri Ramakrishna and others on the Begali calendar. Because the Bengali calendar is based on the lunar year cycle, Mother's birthday "moves" between December and January according to the solar calendar.

This year Mother's birthday falls on January 3, 2005. Celebrations will be held around the world, marking the end of a year-long observance of Sri Sarada Devi's 150th birth anniversary.

Re: Re: HAPPY BIRTDHAY SWEET MOTHER

A slight correction. Holy Mother's birthday this year falls on 2nd Jan 2005.

We are celebrating on Sunday, January 2 here in San Diego. No doubt other centers may do the same.

However, calendars listing holy days, as on the Sri Sarada Math website, list Moher's brthday on Monday, January 3.

I stand corrected Jayanti. I have checked the Institute of Culture website and the birthday is on 3rd Jan. The confusion has come to me since I know that the Mother's birthday is on Saptami (seventh day of the lunar month) and Panchami (fifth day of the lunar month) is on 31st Dec. I think there are 2 Shashtis (sixth day of the lunar calendar)

Mother's birthday is coming and I think we should celebrate in a special way here in the courtyard. Do you or anyone have any thoughts about how we could celebrate it here?

Re: Re: Re: HAPPY BIRTDHAY SWEET MOTHER

Of course, in the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,
which was published in 1942 by the Vedanta
Society, Holy Mother's Birthday is listed
as 22nd December.

Why should there be any confusion?

Holy Mother belongs to the world...not only Bengal....

Hi Tom,

I don't think there is any confusion. The world celebrates Mother's birth according to her own calendar. But how wonderful to have TWO special holy days to remember Her!

I love this season.

Yes, we remember Mother on these special days.

For the past twenty five years, her framed photo
has been displayed, along with Thakurji and Swamiji,
in my little enclosed shrine on top of the bedroom dresser.

When I wake up, it's the first thing I see.
When I work on the computer, the photo is directly in front of me.

Even though the room is usually dark, the photos of the Holy Trio are always illuminated.

So, every day I think of her...there is no confusion in that....on special days, I perhaps burn a little more agarbatti...and light a candle or two.

how to illumine the portraits

Tom,
I like the idea of illuminating the portraits, since I am technically challenged, can you give me some advice on how you did it.

Thanks,
Rosemary

Re: how to illumine the portraits

Hi Rosemary,

There's nothing technical about it.

The three portraits are placed, leaning against the back
wall of an enclosure, resembling a bookshelf. As a matter of fact an ordinary bookshelf may be used for this purpose.

A thin strip of wood, about two inches wide is fastened to the outside bottom portion, running the whole length of the shelf. Two 7-watt night-lights, plugged into an extension cord, are then fastened [stapled] to the inside of the above-mentioned strip of wood, facing towards the framed photographs.

The strip of wood conceals both the extension-cord wiring and the source of the light.

At one of the corners [of the wood strip], near to the electrical wall outlet, cut off a small bit, to allow the extension cord to pass thru....or, you may punch a hole in the back wall of the bookcase for this purpose.

It's as simple as that.

These 7-watt night-light bulbs last for ages. Sometimes more than a year. I always keep a supply on hand....the lights are always on.

Of course, the enclosure may then be decorated to your heart's content. A small incense burner and votive candles placed inside etc...

Enjoy!

Thanks so much. You make it sound so easy. Maybe I can do this, challenged as I am. It's a very nice idea though, so that you can always see the face of Mother, even when you awaken at night.

Thanks again.

Actually, a strip of cloth about three inches wide, stretched across the bottom of the shelf and stapled
to the edges of the bookcase may also suffice.

In the interests of fire prevention, one must be very careful, of course, to avoid any contact with the cloth and the heat generated by the 7-watt bulbs.
In other words, some sort of protective plate should be installed, seperating the cloth from the lights.

I should also have mentioned that the framed photos of the Holy Trio are placed upon a raised platform inside the bookshelf, so that their view is unobstructed by the aforementioned cloth or wood strip.

Home Shrine Inage

Hello again,

I do not possess a digital camera; however, I put together the
image featured below; in Window's Paintbrush. Although lacking
in perspective, it is a 'rough', albeit accurate representation of my home shrine,
devoted to the Holy Trio.

Please click on the image above, to visit our Dakshineswar Temple Webpage.

Thanks,

Tom
===

very beautiful shrine

Tom,
Very beautiful. Thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can do.

Rosemary

Re: very beautiful shrine

Rosemary, your warm comments are appreciated.
I found this weird one-shelf bookcase
at a garage sale. It was like something one would lay upon a buffet....sort of a one shelf 'hutch'

I bought it and it fit perfectly on top of my bureau.
That was the beginning of the enclosed shrine.

Before that, the photos were displayed on an ordinary bookshelf, with illlumination, as previously described.

This 'hutch' is strong enough to support the weight of my 1960 model Chrysler air-temp air conditioner.

Have a Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you also Tom. Sounds like you were meant to find that hutch. When the time is right, I will make a place of worship in my home. For now,
Mother and Sri Ramakrishna sit atop my mantle. I recently needed a frame for something at work and grabbed Swamiji's picture which is now in the back floor board of my car. One day at work in a distressed state I walked to my car, opened the back door and saw Swamiji with turban and all on the floor board and what a comfort it was! Poor Swamiji,I do not at all mean to sound disrespectful, but for me, his image was at the right place, the right time.

My best to you and all my spiritual family for the New Year.
Glad your on board, Tom.

Hi Rosemary,

RE: "Sounds like you were meant to find that hutch"

That is a very astute observation. I also like the story of Swamiji, arranging to have His photo on the floorboard of your car; at the precise moment, when you needed the 'darshan' of seeing His reassuring countenance.

Incodentally, the 'hutch' sits directly atop my bureau, with the legs 'over' the sides; rather than on the top, where they were originally designed to be. In other words, it is a 'perfect fit'. If the bureau were a bit wider, or the hutch a bit narrower; I would have been forced to saw off the legs; which would have reduced considerably the stability of the unit.

As a matter of fact, when required, I simply slide my air conditioner back towards the window,
without any need of lifting the heavy monster and/or re-installing it.

When I bought the hutch for 20 dollars,
I knew exactly what I wanted it for....and I had a 'hunch' that the 'hutch' would fit...and it did!

This conversation brings me back to something I read in the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

The Master said:

"I had planted a grove of tulsi in the Panchavati for performing japa and meditation. I had the idea that it should be enclosed by a fence of bamboo canes. Later I found that a bundle of bamboo canes and a small piece of string had come floating in with the tide in front of the Panchavati. A labourer of the temple joyfully informed me about it."

Excerpted from: http://www.kathamrita.org/kathamrita2/k2sec11.htm

The very best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year, to the administrators and visitors to Mother's Courtyard.

Tom
====