Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
At your lotus feet

Mother,
I wish I knew the words to tell of my gratitude. If only I could see you in the flesh.
You are the first I go to in suffering and trouble, why are you not the first in my thoughts when the blessed relief from worry and trouble comes?
I am not a good daughter, but please believe that I am struggling to keep you always in my heart. Our lives are not easy in this darkness. How could we not make it without the beacon of your love.
I wish I had a blanket to give to you with love, as Sister Nivedita did and that you would accept it with the same recognition as you did for her, but I am not blessed to see you in the flesh, nor to have such a pure heart to give such to you.
I have heard from my son in Afghanistan. Mother I give you both my sons as yours. Blessed Mother!

Re: At your lotus feet

Such a beautiful post and so many memories and thoughts rush to my mind as I read and re read your post.

Rosemary, your relationship with the Mother is eternal and you can’t see her in flesh does not mean that you are unable to communicate with Her. She knows your inner most thoughts prayers and agonies. You mention about not thinking of the Mother when relief comes to mind. It is the way we think but if you are able to keep the thoughts of Mother always within your heart then you will always think of Mother when good and bad come. If we all learn to accept the good and the bad both as coming from the Mother then we will have made progress towards Her. But it is our ego and the world of maya that cause these illusions. Till we reach the reality of life we struggle every step of the way. But then remember we all are struggling with those same issues and you are not alone in that struggle.

Why do you ever say you are not a good daughter? Children are never perfect but does that ever stop the parent from loving them? Why dwell on the negative aspect? You have taken the Mothers name, you come here to Her that in itself makes you a very special person, no not a special person but someone who is blessed. Doesn’t Mother know about our struggles? She does, she has lived the life, lived it in a way that even after 150 years we can use incidents in Her life as a compass every step of the way. We can never make it without the Mother. You struggle and share your struggle, there is no shame or anything to hide and when there is this transparency in your life then light can enter and you can be sure that Mother will come and will be a tangible presence in your life.

There have been so many occasions and times when I wished I could have done something tangible for the Mother like lifted a bag of rice for her or helped her with packing on the various trips from Jayrambati to Calcutta or made a brick for the temple or done vespers at some place and yet I know that is not how She wants me to serve Her. She wants me to do what I am doing right now and do it well and offer it all to Her. Offer my work and know in my work itself I am serving Her. Try to think of your own interactions as serving the Mother. Then you will know those very people who trouble and do not understand you will serve as a route to reach the Mother.

You offer your children to the Mother. There is nothing more you can offer but remember this offering. Now the challenge is to continue the love care and concern for both your sons but know that they are your offerings to the Mother. All of us belong to the Mother. If we learn that we all belong to the Mother then there is no doubt and every struggle every breath belongs to Her.

Mother is there with you as She is with each one of us. May we all discover Her tangible presence on our lives.

Re: At your lotus feet

Thank you so much Brother Paritosh,
You have discerned the deepest meaning of my post.
I know that Mother is with me on a spiritual level, but I want to make her REAL in my life. And yet I know intellectually that SHE IS REAL, and it is me who is false. Perhaps that is what I mean about not being a good daughter.
Happy Holidays! Love from me to my brother and much gratitude for your support and understanding.

Re: Re: At your lotus feet

I am not the one you should thank. It’s the Mother here who gives us the support. Mother and her daughter both are real and She is a living presence in your life. When I have wanted to make Mother more real, I have chanted Her name and that makes Her more real and a more tangible presence to me. Perhaps you could try that. You are a daughter of the Mother. NEVER doubt that.

May Mother support each one of us in our journey towards the Supreme Goal.